Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VXII Berlina Wagon

_War_

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Wagon
Have you considered using the mace engine mounts they state that they are 5mm lower than the factory units and not much more vibration. I think these are the ones Lex is referring too.

https://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/MNT601

And throw on a smaller pulley for more boost and clearance. ;)

Quick Edit: I reckon a BA Bulge would look 10x better than a cowl if it came to needing that extra clearance.
vxclubbybulge.jpg.html

Last edited:

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I have looked at the bulges in the past. They are pretty much what I want, I just have to get over the ford thing (and find one that is steal, not fiberglass).

The MACE mounts look good, but I have heard some negative feedback regarding noise and vibration, despite what the add says.

The other option is, as above, MOST people get away with intercooling with just a smaller pulley giving the needed clearance. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough for that. I might just do the respray and then when I intercool in the future if I have clearance issues I'll deal with it then.

Chilli_Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX XU6
I had the mace mounts fitted to my XU6 last year.

There was slight vibration at first when in Park but once in drive and moving it subsides.

I tightened some of the dash screws as well when I had it out not long after and that took away most of the noise as well.

Highly recommend the mace mounts, these engines kill standard ones.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got the car tinted last week. ended up going 18% all round as the 35% I put on my ute was useless. Really happy with the look, especially as the old factory stuff was very faded and peeling.

pytr5.jpg

_War_

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Berlina Wagon
The darker tint looks awesome! Are you planning on lowering it?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
The darker tint looks awesome! Are you planning on lowering it?

Personally I'm not a huge fan of overly low cars, and I want this car to remain as practical as possible (for towing, heavy loads in the boot etc.). That being said, the suspension is getting tired all round so I would like to freshen it up a bit, so I'll probably drop it by 2-3cm at that stage.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi Husky
I like your tint. What is darker, 35% or 18%?
I'am going to do mine,
Also what was cost? l've been quoted at $400. to remove old tint & tint mine with 33%. which according to the salesman is the darkest legal tint in Australia.
I thought l read some where that it cost you $250. to remove old tint & supply & fit new. If correct it would pay me to drive there.
The place l got my quote was in Melb. I'm in Geelong.
Thanks Lex

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Husky
I like your tint. What is darker, 35% or 18%?
I'am going to do mine,
Also what was cost? l've been quoted at $400. to remove old tint & tint mine with 33%. which according to the salesman is the darkest legal tint in Australia.
I thought l read some where that it cost you $250. to remove old tint & supply & fit new. If correct it would pay me to drive there.
The place l got my quote was in Melb. I'm in Geelong.
Thanks Lex

Darkest legal in Victoria is 35% VLT (Visible light transmission). 18% is lower VLT, which means it is darker. In saying that though, I've never heard of anyone being picked up for slightly darker tint. Usually people get in trouble because it is excessively dark, or they were doing something else wrong as well.

I used a bloke in Bonbeach called Dr Tint and he was excellent, and will provide warranty on darker than legal tint (most places wont warrant anything below 35%). This cost me $300, which is about standard, including removal of factory tint. $400 sounds way too high for this.