Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

** my vxss auto gearbox died - converting to manual ** pointers **

pommyVL

PommyVL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 SS
Hey lads,

just need a few pointers as i have never done this. What type of box to go for eg. Worth buying new?

Places to go around newcastle or sydney to get this done properly, cheaply, with best performance outcome?

Also front suspension has gone, nob of a previous owner obviously, any ideas on new shocks at the front? Supalows at the back.

And if your a genius, which oil is best to run with a 2001 vx ss as im due for a full change and filters.

jamesjgts25t

Reaction score
Members Ride
180sx
I have just done a manual conversion on my VX Clubsport. A new T56 is pretty expensive so I went with a fairly low k's 2nd hand one.
After taking into account the price a workshop will charge to do a manual conversion it might be worthwhile putting a 2nd hand auto in your SS to sell it and then buy a manual SS unless you are very attached to the car.

There are a couple of threads on ls1.com.au that list most of the parts needed for the conversion which is really helpful. Just make sure you get a decent clutch, extended or remote bleeder for slave and remeber that if you have the standard 3.07 diff you might want to get some 3.46 or higher gears for the diff.
Without including labour as I don't know what shops would charge, I would try and budget "AT LEAST" $3000 for parts.

I have been told Castrol Edge 10W-60 is very good and that's what I will be using on my next service.

jamesjgts25t

Reaction score
Members Ride
180sx
Some rough prices off the top of my head:

T56- $1000-$1500 used
Clutch (LS7)- $800 new
Diff (if you decide to)- $1000 recond
Manual Crossmember- $100 new
Gearbox Ruber Mount- $60 new
Gearknob and boot- $150 new
Slave Cyl- $250 new
Master Cyl- $120 used
Pedal Box- $130 used
Wiring Loom- $250-$350 used (you can convert the auto loom though)
White Rubber Gear Boot- $80 new
ECU Reflash- ???
Trc Ctrl Switch- $60 new
Shifter Assy- $100 used
Throwout Bearing- $100+ new :O
Plastic Dash Panel/Cluster Surround- $100 used (needed unless you cut a hole for the new trac switch)

If you can find someone with a wreck that has everything you need that can save you heaps.

pommyVL

PommyVL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 SS
**** dude, thanks for the info.

i got a quote from a place and it was $2900 all up for hydraulic clutch. im going to have to ring them back and get a breakdown of exactly what they do for that price.

my gearbox is ####ed as it is, so im down for atleast 2grand anyway.

again cheers for that.