Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VY II is not running smooth

all4one

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive II
Hey guys,

I have a VY II v6 manual and it came manual from factory. What I found with this transmission is between gear changes you have to accelerate slowly. The car doesn't handle it well if l accelerate faster. Big mistake getting it manual. If l had known l would've got auto. Anyway I have a new problem. I have to accelerate slower now, the engine doesn't run smooth and drinking a lot more petrol than usual. I can feel the car doesn't run right. It's done 115,00kms and l have never done a major service like change spark plug leads, coil pack, dfi module or do you think there's something wrong with the injectors. Any ideas guys?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try replacing the plugs and leads, they can be bought for around $100 the lot. Also test your coils with a multimeter or if you want spend $70 at Mace Engineering and replace the coils too. Can't remember the price of injectors but I think last time I looked they were around $350 a set, so not something you want to replace unless you have too.

all4one

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive II
Try replacing the plugs and leads, they can be bought for around $100 the lot. Also test your coils with a multimeter or if you want spend $70 at Mace Engineering and replace the coils too. Can't remember the price of injectors but I think last time I looked they were around $350 a set, so not something you want to replace unless you have too.
Do you think the dfi module needs changing as well?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
1st get it scanned !,
and see what codes are causing it to not operate correctly, or see the hisorical codes that may provide a indication of previous faults if someone hasnt already deleted them.
2nd, being the age of it, Do the LIM gaskets,
3rd, replace the VAC hoses
4th, plugs leads and DFI [if you think its faulty]
That’s a start, and should start to notice it running ok.
You dont need to be replacing items that dont need to be replaced. [If it aint broke, dont fix it]
A lot of the items above you can do your self, which will save you a heap of $'s.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you think the dfi module needs changing as well?
I doubt it, if the DFI starts playing up it will only last a few days before completely dying. They are the sort of thing that normally either work or they don't.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hey guys,

I have a VY II v6 manual and it came manual from factory. What I found with this transmission is between gear changes you have to accelerate slowly. The car doesn't handle it well if l accelerate faster. Big mistake getting it manual. If l had known l would've got auto. Anyway I have a new problem. I have to accelerate slower now, the engine doesn't run smooth and drinking a lot more petrol than usual. I can feel the car doesn't run right. It's done 115,00kms and l have never done a major service like change spark plug leads, coil pack, dfi module or do you think there's something wrong with the injectors. Any ideas guys?

Whare you located in Melbourne ?