Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My vz crewman is definately using too much fuel,

William Coe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman 2006
I bought a crewman vz,6 cyl ,then the motor was replaced a week later,so now it runs but the fuel it's using is high ,I can see the fuel gauge drop from a drive up my street,it's really worrying me,it feels like it's idling high to me,when warmed up it sits on 650 to 700,but I'm barely going far and this car is using petrol at an alarming rate,so now Ive got to try and find out if it can be fixed ,I'm really worried,I bought it off a mechanics,itbroke down a week later,he put in another motor for me,not a new one,but it drove,then I noticed a high idle,I took it back to him and he said it's idling within range,but beside the point that I thought it was using too much fuel,now a week later,I'm sure it's using too much fuel,I can see the fuel gauge lower real fast,from just driving around my streets,my question at the moment is ,that when he put in the replacement motor,could the car computer settings be wrong and making the engine use more fuel than it should,cause I'm sure it's ripping into way more fuel than I expected,and I can't take it to him cause I did already,but I'm still stuck with this problem,so it idles high on starting about 1100 1200 then it goes down to 700 ,but even then it feels like it's doing too much,and the fuel it's using it's not normal ,I'll have to take it to someone who can help cause I just bought it and all these issues,I can't take the stress ,could the tuning be off or the car computer,where can I take this car to that has an idea,I spent 8 grand already on it buying it and rego ,now I can't drive it cause I'll be broke from all the petrol it's using,I'll pray tonight cause only God knows how I'll get out of this debarcle

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'd imagine there could be a bunch of reasons.
If it were mine, I'd be spending the day doing a thorough service schedule on it.

Vacuum leaks would be a good place to start. Have someone smoke test the top end. Where the smoke comes out is where your leaks are. Replace the relative hose or gasket. Vacuum leak will create a whole bunch of issues, including high idle and high fuel use as everything is trying to compensate for the unmeasured air entering the intake system.

You could have leaky injectors. If they didn't swap your old injectors over, then that could be something.

The Crewman will eat fuel anyway though. If you got 400k's from a tank in the city, it would be good.

William Coe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman 2006
I'd imagine there could be a bunch of reasons.
If it were mine, I'd be spending the day doing a thorough service schedule on it.

Vacuum leaks would be a good place to start. Have someone smoke test the top end. Where the smoke comes out is where your leaks are. Replace the relative hose or gasket. Vacuum leak will create a whole bunch of issues, including high idle and high fuel use as everything is trying to compensate for the unmeasured air entering the intake system.

You could have leaky injectors. If they didn't swap your old injectors over, then that could be something.

The Crewman will eat fuel anyway though. If you got 400k's from a tank in the city, it would be good

William Coe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman 2006
Yep sounds good,I'll sleep better tonight,the car itself had 34000 on it when I got it and no service history,when the motor was replaced with a second hand one,the mechanic said the original engine was full of gunk so only the engine was replaced so there may be more gunk in other places,I've written a list to check for vacuum leaks and leaky injectors,it is idling high in my opinion,and it's chewing fuel,but I've got some money,so I'll take it to a Holden guy preferably tomorrow,and get the car looked at,it's really chewing the fuel,I'd say I'm getting ,180 km per tank,now,so 400 km per tank is normal you say,well that's better,well I'll say my prayers tonight,I pray this issue gets fixed for me,thanks again,bye

Reactions: Lex

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When drivers complain about excessive fuel consumption, they rarely state what actual consumption they are getting.
Mine gets 11L/100 driving around town and low 9s on a trip.
The fuel gauge does not show full with a full tank, stays there for ............ I dunno how long, .........then watch it drop to empty, and top it with just over 45 litres when the tank holds (supposedly) 68 litres.

Fill the tank, drive xxx km, fill it again, then work out the litres / 100km.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Yep sounds good,I'll sleep better tonight,the car itself had 34000 on it when I got it and no service history,when the motor was replaced with a second hand one,the mechanic said the original engine was full of gunk so only the engine was replaced so there may be more gunk in other places,I've written a list to check for vacuum leaks and leaky injectors,it is idling high in my opinion,and it's chewing fuel,but I've got some money,so I'll take it to a Holden guy preferably tomorrow,and get the car looked at,it's really chewing the fuel,I'd say I'm getting ,180 km per tank,now,so 400 km per tank is normal you say,well that's better,well I'll say my prayers tonight,I pray this issue gets fixed for me,thanks again,bye
William Coe I’m just off to buy some fuel quickly, by the sound of things there will not be any left because you have bought it all!:) Good luck.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
take the 02's out and look at them if they are sooty then ur using more fuel then usual, may just be the 02's not working or may have other issues causing it, if u take them out and they are clean like a normal brown/tannish color then u have other issues, could even be the fuel sender playing up and reading lower then it should have to see from empty how many liters is says to fill the tank

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
as mentioned X kms per tank is meaning less
need how many km to how many litres
i am assuming an auto, maybe torque converter is not releasing at idle
so many issues can cause poor fuel mileage

William Coe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman 2006
Ok mechanics just rang me the crewman is fixed he said it did have a vacuum leaks dodgy coil and spark plugs,and it was only running on 4 cylinders,I'm on my way to pick it up well 1270 cost but it's a start,I don't know if it will use less fuel but I'll do those calculations when I've driven it a bit ,well I'm hopeful anyway thanks to the input of members I had no idea what to do and yep it's a start ,

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Coils and plugs, replace or repair hoses to sort vacuum leaks would have been the big part of the cost, maybe equal to labour/time to diagnose and carry out work. New gasket.