Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My vz crewman is definately using too much fuel,

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
If you have non genuine coils there can be some issues.

Also if your spark plugs turned out to be knock-off big brand plugs, that would also happen.

Reusing the old gaskets, that can happen.

Vacuum and PCV hoses that are a bit hard, that will happen. Once removed, they will never seal up the same. Replace the hoses or at least the rubber hose ends on the pipes.
I’ve posted how to make a smoke tester to find vacuum leaks. It’s very budget conscious. A few other members have also written how to do other versions. Some quick searching will find them.
Yeah easy. The plugs are NGK. The coils are genuine and I definately replaced the gasket when doing them. Will have a look for that budget smoke tester and see what I can find. It might be the PVC as I removed them to do the coils and catch can install. Will have a better look this arvo.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Did you buy the plugs from eBay or from a physical retailer that you go into?

eBay is littered with knockoff spark plugs that look so good even the genuine manufacturers have trouble telling them apart until y are cut open and inspected, which is when it’s extremely obvious they are fakes.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Did you buy the plugs from eBay or from a physical retailer that you go into?

eBay is littered with knockoff spark plugs that look so good even the genuine manufacturers have trouble telling them apart until y are cut open and inspected, which is when it’s extremely obvious they are fakes.
Nah. Got them from Supercheap. I try and go as genuine as possible with parts because with the amount of trouble we had with the wagon, I've learnt it's just easier to pay the extra and do it right the first time.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Good news.
Most likely will be vacuum leaks letting unmetered air into the intake resulting in sensors picking up conflicting data.

A manifold or exhaust leak before the post cat sensor on 06/07 VZ or before the pre cat sensor on 04/05 VZ can also be an issue. Again, a smoke test will identify this. For exhaust leaks, the smoke would be fed into the exhaust pipe. For manifold leaks, it’s fed into the intake. Both should be done with low pressure.
Use a torch or laser pointer to find smoke coming out in the engine bay etc. sometimes it’s hard to see.