Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My vz crewman is definately using too much fuel,

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
We have been trying to help you, but you don't seem to be calmly working through the solutions.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Totally agree with you Fu.
Some people simply don’t listen.

William Coe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman 2006
Sorry guys I better listen and learn I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me too,yep I'm usually in a panic about my situation with the car and when something goes wrong I panic a bit ,I'll calm down a bit thanks guys please keep helping me until I can help myself one day thanks again guys your advice is so valuable to me

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't over think everything.
Your mind is controlling you, turn it around and be in control of your mind.
Focus only on facts, not imaginary senarios. Not what ifs.
Avoid impulsive conclusions to uncontrolled hypothethetical thinking.
Be calm.
None of this is your doing. How you manage through it is something you can focus on.
and methodically, and rationally work through it.

If you lose your **** over things in life, you'll be in a confused mess for ever.

An old militarty proverb of sorts: When everyone looks trapped and are losing their minds, panicking and having anxiety, look for the one who is alone, calm and quiet. Thats the person looking to cut the fence and escape the situation.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
By the time you get all that done you should have a car in good condition so maybe better to keep it, or sell it for less without getting the work done. Either way it is going to cost you. Could put it down to a learning experience, that is life, we have all been there at some stage.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you dont mention much about your abilities, space to work, tools or friends who can assist you
we can provide the knowledge you need
as you have been driving it around, nothing sounds super urgent
i would be getting a second opinion. some mechanics can smell a full wallet and want to empty it
if you trust this mechanic, tell him you dont have much money and what is required urgent and what can wait
give the engine bay a good steamclean, avoiding anything electrical
see what leaks come back
nothing on that list will affect idle speed or fuel consumption which seem to be your main worry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
I'd imagine there could be a bunch of reasons.
If it were mine, I'd be spending the day doing a thorough service schedule on it.

Vacuum leaks would be a good place to start. Have someone smoke test the top end. Where the smoke comes out is where your leaks are. Replace the relative hose or gasket. Vacuum leak will create a whole bunch of issues, including high idle and high fuel use as everything is trying to compensate for the unmeasured air entering the intake system.

You could have leaky injectors. If they didn't swap your old injectors over, then that could be something.

The Crewman will eat fuel anyway though. If you got 400k's from a tank in the city, it would be good.
How much does a vacuum leak affect fuel consumption? Just filled mine and it dropped almost to half after driving to work (bout 25km, mostly highway). I was squeezing near 600/tank. I've swapped the fuel pump assembly, done the plugs and coils. Moneys a bit tight atm, so trying to trouble shoot on a budget

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you have non genuine coils there can be some issues.

Also if your spark plugs turned out to be knock-off big brand plugs, that would also happen.

Reusing the old gaskets, that can happen.

Vacuum and PCV hoses that are a bit hard, that will happen. Once removed, they will never seal up the same. Replace the hoses or at least the rubber hose ends on the pipes.
I’ve posted how to make a smoke tester to find vacuum leaks. It’s very budget conscious. A few other members have also written how to do other versions. Some quick searching will find them.