Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VZ locked me out!

boofis

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
Hi all,

Had some fun with my VZ last night and this morning. Funny story actually.

Was at a friends house last night - it's raining up in QLD, and when we went to leave his house (only an hour or so later) my windscreen wipers and lights were back on! Even though they were clearly off when I went in to his house (open door, lock car) >.>

That wasn't a biggy though as the car started. Don't know how long they'd been on for though.

This mornings incident was much more amusing (and rage inducing, may I add). I live on acreage, and had to get out of the car in the pouring rain to open the gate.

As we all know, Commodore doors are heavy and are prone to closing themselves automatically when you get out of your car.

Fair enough, that's not usually a problem - except this morning this happened, and then I heard that distinctive "click" as the bastard locked the doors when the door closed! All of them!!!

So here's me standing in the pissing down rain on my way to work, wanting to kick my car very very hard. I ran back inside (luckily someone was home to let me back in to get my spare key), unlocked it through the key hole and away I went.

Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed, but it made a funny story when I got in to work this morning.

Anyway, on to the serious side of this - what the bloody heck could have caused these "ghosts"..? Perhaps a sign of an impending death of a BCM..?

Cheers

godders

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore Wagon (family car)
LOL...i had to laugh when reading this though potentially quite serious.

will follow this and see what the outcome is...good luck

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Do you leave it in drive when you get out. I know my parents VY has a function that auto locks the doors in drive, maybe getting out and closing door resets it. LOL I really don't know but worth asking.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
Do you leave it in drive when you get out. I know my parents VY has a function that auto locks the doors in drive, maybe getting out and closing door resets it. LOL I really don't know but worth asking.

thats actually a good point.

in regards to the lights and wipers, not sure whats going on there, maybe take it in to somewhere and get the bcm checked.

hopefully its not a bcm on the way out cos they're not cheap and you'll need 2 new key fobs (the black part).

the other option is to pm dr.bob cos he can fix the bcm without the need for new keys

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
door s only lock automatically when the box is placed in one of the drive gears and not park or neutral.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Hi all,

Had some fun with my VZ last night and this morning. Funny story actually.

Was at a friends house last night - it's raining up in QLD, and when we went to leave his house (only an hour or so later) my windscreen wipers and lights were back on! Even though they were clearly off when I went in to his house (open door, lock car) >.>

That wasn't a biggy though as the car started. Don't know how long they'd been on for though.

This mornings incident was much more amusing (and rage inducing, may I add). I live on acreage, and had to get out of the car in the pouring rain to open the gate.

As we all know, Commodore doors are heavy and are prone to closing themselves automatically when you get out of your car.

Fair enough, that's not usually a problem - except this morning this happened, and then I heard that distinctive "click" as the bastard locked the doors when the door closed! All of them!!!

So here's me standing in the pissing down rain on my way to work, wanting to kick my car very very hard. I ran back inside (luckily someone was home to let me back in to get my spare key), unlocked it through the key hole and away I went.

Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed, but it made a funny story when I got in to work this morning.

Anyway, on to the serious side of this - what the bloody heck could have caused these "ghosts"..? Perhaps a sign of an impending death of a BCM..?

Cheers
Had exactly the same problem in my VZ.... right down the wipers and lights. Except that mine locked me out on the way to a rally whilst I was filling up at a servo, and I didn't have time to wait for road side assist, so I grabbed a spare rally car control arm and smashed the rear window (which is tiny in the ute) to get in..

Turned to be a short behind the passenger headlight where the wires had got too hot and shorted out.... An auto eleccy and $80 on a new window and it was fixed...

boofis

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
Had exactly the same problem in my VZ.... right down the wipers and lights. Except that mine locked me out on the way to a rally whilst I was filling up at a servo, and I didn't have time to wait for road side assist, so I grabbed a spare rally car control arm and smashed the rear window (which is tiny in the ute) to get in..

Turned to be a short behind the passenger headlight where the wires had got too hot and shorted out.... An auto eleccy and $80 on a new window and it was fixed...

Interesting! I'll investigate. Was there visible damage (melted, etc)? I'll see if I can see anything weird.... Don't want to take the sucker to Holden because I know I'll get ripped the second I walk in the door.

Thanks for the input, my VZ has the same - but it's turned off, and as holdenvtman1123 said it only happens when you're in drive mode though, not neutral or park.

hopefully its not a bcm on the way out cos they're not cheap and you'll need 2 new key fobs (the black part).

Yeah, I heard they're quite a rip! The car itself only came out of warranty June last year, bloody thing isn't even four years old yet. Went to extend the factory warranty on it but they said they couldn't due to them changing who that's provided with (or some bs) at the time I rang. Only had a day left at that stage LOL. I might be able to argue the toss and be a bit persuasive ;)

Thanks for the input all, I'll see if anyone else has anything to add also! :)

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
Sorry to destroy your day but I think you do have a BCM problem. I heard of a VZ that did the same wiper/lights activity in a mates garage one morning, was a failed BCM. Replaced under warranty though. Methinks GMH have a known problem with certain batch of VZ BCM's & if you have to buy one , see if you can get reimbursed by writing a letter to GMH citing many previous incidences of these failing....:idea:

MySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6
Perhaps a sign of an impending death of a BCM..?

More likely that you have been getting your car serviced by a Toyota dealer.

1. Open customers car
2. Spin wheen to find out what errors the car has to be programmed with
3. Sign if its not faulty brakes & cruise control as they are fun
4. Program with random fault
5. Smile when returning customers car

RIPFPV

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Dunno mate holden dealerships don't service very well either, jsut the same better to f*** it youself
than have some yuppy 16 yr old kid f*** it for you and then flip you the bill, better to take the time to sort it yourself than fork out hundreds for half a service and a tire shine.