Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VZ Ute

JT Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum and also pretty new to the whole commodore world. i've been reading up on the threads (not as a member) for a couple of months now and with all the info i gathered up i set out to find a ute. After many days and nights spent searching i have finally ended up with a white VZ ute. it's a 6 because of the damn P plate laws, but i'm still very happy with it after spending 3 years worth of my savings.

Obviously now i hav no money to spend on her, but hopefully i will do a fair bit of work over the next couple of months and earn enough to get some mods happening.

The utes features (so far, as i bought it) are:

Model: 2005 VZ S
Colour: White
Engine: 3.6L 175 Alloytec (from what i've heard, auto 175, manual 190?)
Engine Mods: None... need some suggestions, i want to do the two hole mod in the coming weeks but i am concerned about an insurance void if am involved in an accident?
Gearbox: 4 Speed Auto
Exhaust: Stock
Diff: Stock (LSD)
Suspension: Lovell springs, lowered but not sure how much
Wheels: 18 inch speedy wheels, not sure what model
Other Extras: Hard top, tray liner

Future mods:
- DONE - 2 hole mod... depending on what you guys say about the insurance concerns.
- I may upsize the rims to 19's
- Lower a bit more
- Get a sound system
- DONE - Exhaust (this will come first i think)... start with a cat back, then possibly later get headers and hi flow cats (depending on money). cat back wise, i have heard great things about both lukey and redback, but i cannot decide between the two, if someone knows could they please answer the following questions: which is cheaper? which is louder? which has better performance gains? and which is better quality?

Cheers guys

Attachments

• DSC00259.jpg
    DSC00259.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 3,865
  • DSC00263.jpg
    DSC00263.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 981
Last edited:

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Sweet lookin ute mate. Insurance shouldn't be a problem with the 2 hole mod.

Here's what I'd do in order:
Get some foggies to fill the holes
Lukey exhaust. (I've heard both lukey and redback are good)
5% window tint.
Lower a bit more

That should set her up nicely. I wouldn't worry about high flow cats for a V6 unless you plan on some serious performance mods such as F/I. Don't go spending to much money on it because you may want some more power when you're off your P's and want a V8. You won't be able to get the money spent on her back.

JT Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Cheers mate.

I think i'll do the two hole mod this week some time, maybe on the W/E when i have some time on my hands. Also u mentioned the foggies, ebay u reckon? and how hard would they be to hook up, like is there extra wiring i have to get or anything?

You also make a good point with the tint, i'll have to put that on my list, close to the top as it's not too expencive i assume.

And yeh i'm thinking lukey may be the way to go, any guidelines on price, sound or where i can get my hands on a system in sydney? i'll keep trying ebay but i don't know how lucky i'm gonna get on there.

Sorry about all of the questions and thankyou for your advice so far, it's much appreciated.

Cheers, Jared

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Ebay would be the go for the foggies. So much cheaper. As for hooking em up, I wouldn't know but assuming the wiring is there all you have to do is pull the front bar off and put em in.

Tint for utes isn't very expensive at all. Couple of hundred bucks max.

Have a look at the http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6-development-modification/71081-v6-exhaust-post-here-16.html section. There's heaps of info there. Price depends on system (single/twin, diameter of pipe, Stainless or mild steel, resi/no resi, etc). I'd say for a single system in mild steel ballpark price of about $300-$500 and maybe add a few hundred for a twin.

A sound system can just be picked up from your local car store like autobahn or repco. Ask them about what you want and your price range and they should be able to sort you out.

Hope that helps a bit.

JT Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
thanks again man, can't thank you enough for the info. u've been a great help to me as a newbie. i'll check out that v6 exhaust link and find out about installing those foggies.

Cheers again

white vyII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
good looking ute buddy nice and clean like duk said check out the exhaust thread. we're playing around with ss exhausts and just changing the mufflers in em to get some sound. only $50 from your local exhaust shop should get you one. pretty good for a full stainless steel mandrel bent dual system! utes looking great tho mate! :D

JT Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
cheers guys,
yeh i'd love to see how this ss exhaust test turns out... i had heard originally that any twin system was too big for a V6, but for $50 who can complain, if u guys say it works well i'll try to get my hands on a system.

white vyII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S Ute
Getting mine done 2mora so watch my thread and see what I think of it :)

VZnewbie

VZnewbie
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden 2005 VZ storm ute
nice ute buddy,
with the sound system if i was you go around to a few different car sterio places, listen to a few different types on speakers (with your kind of music!!!!) and if u have a ruff estimate on what you want to spend on the system, let them know what you price range is, this is what i did and i came out with 1 hell of a sterio! although i parsually knew what i wanted, they also helped me out with what would suit best for my car, my music, my likings and price range :) in my opinion spend that little bit more, and get something that will last ;)