Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY06 VZ Calais - Odd finds

HSVBoI

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm (Prussian Steel) *For Sale*
I still have the noise from the transmission under acceleration, it might be louder now, not too sure as I usually have my music up so I don't hear it. I am yet to have the transmission serviced as I am unable to do it myself due to now being able to get under the car.

If someone went to the trouble of getting the HFV6, 5L40E tranny, all electrics, leather bits, body kit, head and tail lights and all the other Calais bits and put it on an exec, it would have been cheaper just to buy a calais. My car is most certainly a MY06 Calais. I'm still confused why I have holes drilled in places in the space under the CD player and that flap glued shut, plus holes in the "cup holder" under the rubber and the centre console as well.

In the next few months I'll be looking at selling my Calais and upgrading to one of the following.
- VE S2 Calais V, V8
- VF Calais V, V8
- VF SV6

SV6 and VE Calais are around the same price and the VF Calais is about $10,000 more, so deciding on what to do. (Suggestions?)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
flap glued shut is simple.

the door has a crappy push clip - they are renowned for failure, someone prolly got sick of replacing the stupid thing.

Holes in cupholder, I'll go out on a limb and guess some sort of cable was run.

If not a Calais and full of Calais bits - also easy, someone bought a wreck and transferred all bits. If you get the parts cheap your time is free.

HSVBoI

Reaction score
Members Ride
flap glued shut is simple.

the door has a crappy push clip - they are renowned for failure, someone prolly got sick of replacing the stupid thing.

Holes in cupholder, I'll go out on a limb and guess some sort of cable was run.

If not a Calais and full of Calais bits - also easy, someone bought a wreck and transferred all bits. If you get the parts cheap your time is free.

The glue theory, I kinda of agree on, I always knock it and down it goes when I don't want it to.

Cupholder (Though it can't hold any drink upright) I gathered there was a cable going through, just interested in what it was for, also the holes in the centre console.

My Calais is legit, sorry but if someone has all that free time to swap EVERYTHING over, they need a better hobby. VINs been checked, comes back correct. Engine number is mated to the correct VIN. Full history checked on the car, no insurance jobs at all. A few other things checked and everything is as it should.

HSVBoI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Throughout the last few years I've learnt how to read VINs (Not hard, it's in your cars log book), rego papers have engine number and VIN recorded. Number plate check on some websites will also reveal what Year, model, body shape, engine type and MY. Also a vehicle history can be obtained with any insurance jobs recorded and the first ever owner, plus date it was originally registered which also has the original number plate that was on the car and all relevant serials, VINs, engine numbers that you need to know. :)

Some may think a car could be a "rebirth", but this day and age, with the computer systems that car details are recorded in, pretty much makes it impossible to do without being obvious. I've had experience with the systems. (Y)

matyt94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ MY06 Calais
I can say for certain (through checking VIN and Engine numbers, rego etc.) that my car is definitely a Calais and not a rebuild, rebirth or mock-up :). The 2004 and 2005 VZ Calais did receive the lights in the door cards, but the 2006 VZ did not (I am led to believe this is due to cost saving). The car has been serviced with (under my instruction and recommendation of the mechanic) Dexron VI transmission fluid. The noise has not disappeared, it remains the same as before the service. A fluid level check I don't think will solve this issue, but I suppose it is worth the check (I trust the mechanic who I've known and had mine and my family's car serviced there for years would be doing things correctly). I believe the noise to be somewhat 'normal' as my mate's VXII V6 Berlina and VY II Exec wagon both make a similar noise under acceleration, it could just me being finicky and others may see it as standard Holden.

HSVBoI

Reaction score
Members Ride
My VT and VY never made such noise, nor does my brothers VZ 4L60E or sisters VY. But that being said, my sisters 09 Calais Sportswagon, does make the noise. Just annoys me as to me it sounds like something is failing. Might seem petty, but I'd rather a different car that doesn't make the noise than put up with it any longer. Had the car for just under 2 years/25,000km and love the looks and everything about it, but time to move onto bigger and better things. :)