Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY06 VZ Calais - Odd finds

HSVBoI

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm (Prussian Steel) *For Sale*
Hey guys,

So, a few months ago I purchased (privately) a MY06 190kw VZ Calais, after being involved in a high speed crash that resulted in my car being written off.

It's been going great, hasn't given me any troubles so far, not that it should.

I've noticed the following things a few weeks after owning it and exploring the car whilst I was detailing.
- To start with, I thought all Calais'came with the puddle lights in the lower section of all 4 doors, they seem, to be missing on all 4 doors of my Calais. The doors have the leather inserts and the silver door handles, so I'm guessing they're the original doors?
- Under the CD tray in the center console as well as under the rubber mat where the storage compartment is (normally cup holders in lower models) there's a hole drilled in the corner as well as under the rubber mat under the stereo. I also noticed the lid to the compartment under the stereo was super glued shut also... seems strange.
- When the car is idling the rpm needle seems to move up and down ~100rpm, does the same whilst driving but that could be my foot moving? It stays steady when using cruise control at 110km/h
- Last thing, I noticed that when I accelerate I can hear a softish kind of hydraulic type of sound which seems to come from the transmission? A mates SV6 with the 5 speed auto seems to be pretty quiet, but I haven't been in his car for a while so not 100% sure.

The car has just under 105,000km on the clock, was originally a local Government owned car (City of Joondalup) then a family car (3 young children) then owned by a mature ages couple, they only did 12,000km in the car over 3 years as they had a company car to use.

Sorry about the long post, I blabber a lot (If you have seen my car accident post, you'll understand haha)

Cheers in advance.

Last edited:

matyt94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ MY06 Calais
I just came across this thread. I have noticed the same things with my recently purchased VZ 190kW Calais MY06. It has 83,000km with a full service history. The only thing that concerns me is the noise under acceleration which you have noticed. The car changes gears very, very smoothly and I have had the car serviced and the gearbox oil (among every other oil/fluid in the car) changed which made no difference to the noise. I'd like to know what this noise is, anyone know?

Hey guys,

So, a few months ago I purchased (privately) a MY06 190kw VZ Calais, after being involved in a high speed crash that resulted in my car being written off.

It's been going great, hasn't given me any troubles so far, not that it should.

I've noticed the following things a few weeks after owning it and exploring the car whilst I was detailing.
- To start with, I thought all Calais'came with the puddle lights in the lower section of all 4 doors, they seem, to be missing on all 4 doors of my Calais. The doors have the leather inserts and the silver door handles, so I'm guessing they're the original doors?
- Under the CD tray in the center console as well as under the rubber mat where the storage compartment is (normally cup holders in lower models) there's a hole drilled in the corner as well as under the rubber mat under the stereo. I also noticed the lid to the compartment under the stereo was super glued shut also... seems strange.
- When the car is idling the rpm needle seems to move up and down ~100rpm, does the same whilst driving but that could be my foot moving? It stays steady when using cruise control at 110km/h
- Last thing, I noticed that when I accelerate I can hear a softish kind of hydraulic type of sound which seems to come from the transmission? A mates SV6 with the 5 speed auto seems to be pretty quiet, but I haven't been in his car for a while so not 100% sure.

The car has just under 105,000km on the clock, was originally a local Government owned car (City of Joondalup) then a family car (3 young children) then owned by a mature ages couple, they only did 12,000km in the car over 3 years as they had a company car to use.

Sorry about the long post, I blabber a lot (If you have seen my car accident post, you'll understand haha)

Cheers in advance.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Check your Automatic transmission fluid level.
It needs to be done with the car warm on a flat surface, engine idling and in park. Unscrew the filler plug and it should just be dribbling out (right next to the zorst on the Adventra). If it is done with the engine off the level will be too low.
Some people overfill by 500ml to avoid fluid starvation under hard acceleration. This needs to be done by adding the 500ml through the cooling system, usually the top return pipe. If doing an overfill check what fluid was used when it was serviced and match it (either Dexron III (original) or Dexron VI).

HTH Nick

Vegemite

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
My 2006 Calais also is missing the lights on the door trims, was wondering why they are not there as most the calais I see have them?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
For those of you owing Calais and finding missing bits 'n' pieces, check the authenticity of your vehicles and ensure that they are not (1) re-builds (2) re-birthed or (3) Executives that have been 'modified' to resemble a Calais ! Good luck.

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
how do I go about checking the Authenticity?

Check your VIN. The series of letters that make up the sequence does actually mean something. Look in the owner's manual for what means what.

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
Just had a look at a few MY06 Calais on carsales.com.. it seems later Calais didn't have the door lights like earlier VZ Calais.

Vegemite

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais
yea I noticed the same when I looked earlier, wonder why that is.

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I've got an 05 190kw Calais and it has the 4 lights in the door cards.