Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY06 VZ SV6 fault codes - P0420 and P2098

Commy SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SV6 A5
Guys,

According to Gregory Repairs Manual for VT-VZ these codes means:
P0420
Catalyst operating efficiency below threshold bank 1
P2098
Post catalyst fuel trim too lean bank 2

I know P0420 is a code for bad cat converter but P2098???? :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
Can anyone please enlighten me in this P2098 code? In my language it means "post-cat o2 sensor in bank 2 senses lean condition". How could a catalytic converter runs lean????? Fuel trim???? :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

:idea3: Also please advise if it is possible to disable the post-cat o2 sensors reading permanently? Will it cause mechanical damage to the engine? Pros and cons??
Thanks guys.

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
Your cat may have **** itself and be blocked by the internals of the cat. Which could be decreasing air flow a bit so maybe that's leading to a bad reading for the sensor after the cat.

ufo8mycow

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VF
How did u get ur error codes I have. Vz berlina and I'm trying to find a way to read them I got a tool off eBay but it didn't work ;(

Commy SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SV6 A5
Your cat may have **** itself and be blocked by the internals of the cat. Which could be decreasing air flow a bit so maybe that's leading to a bad reading for the sensor after the cat.
My original cats were stuffed so my mechanic replaced them with an aftermarket no-frills cats as the genuine ones cost a bomb. Nonetheless the codes are still there so my next option is to get the back o2 sensors reading turned off permanently. I know it could be done I just want to know if anyone out there has had this done and will it cause any dramas with the front o2 sensors reading?

Commy SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SV6 A5
How did u get ur error codes I have. Vz berlina and I'm trying to find a way to read them I got a tool off eBay but it didn't work ;(

My mechanic scanned them for me. Did you buy the OBD II scan reader? Also the scan reader would not give you any codes if there aren't any faults with your car! Consider yourself lucky as my check powertrain light has been on in the last 2 months due to cats and back o2 sensors problems!!!!

RJ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 Ute
Guys,

According to Gregory Repairs Manual for VT-VZ these codes means:
P0420
Catalyst operating efficiency below threshold bank 1
P2098
Post catalyst fuel trim too lean bank 2

I know P0420 is a code for bad cat converter but P2098???? :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
Can anyone please enlighten me in this P2098 code? In my language it means "post-cat o2 sensor in bank 2 senses lean condition". How could a catalytic converter runs lean????? Fuel trim???? :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

:idea3: Also please advise if it is possible to disable the post-cat o2 sensors reading permanently? Will it cause mechanical damage to the engine? Pros and cons??
Thanks guys.

Did you get this resolved? I have the same codes on my VZ SV6.