Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY12.5 SSV Z Series Sportswagon

Commjunk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z Series Sportwagon
G'day gents, joined the forum many years ago now however it's been at least 12 years since I've actually owned a Holden. In saying that, I recently traded in my 2015 STi for a low kilometre example SSV 6 speed manual Sportswagon. I am a wagon-man at heart & my first Holden was no exception - a VR Commodore wagon which started my whole love affair with them. Fast forward over a decade & I think I have come to my senses again.. owning something practical & the wagon my 18 year old self could have only dreamed of.

Ideally I was looking to get myself into a HSV variant, though having just recently moved into a new neighbourhood the options locally were limited & finding a manual was further cutting my chances down. Strangely enough, this SSV showed up ticking all the right boxes, right down to preferred colour. So as far as I see it, it was a meant-to-be reacquaintance.

Specs:

Model: SSV Z Series
Year: MY12.5 (September build)
Km's: 54,XXX
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Colour: Nitrate Silver
Engine: L77

The car is (was) stock standard at the time of trade-in, though there is always something to be improved on in my opinion.. the first few purchases / DIY changes have mostly all been cosmetic which so far have consisted of:

- HSV "Dark Red" Series II tail lights
- Series II sports armour
- Stubby antenna
- New OEM tow bar hitch cover
- New OEM black wheel nut caps
- New OEM "SS" floor mat set
- Proform rubber cargo mat
- Gloss black grille badge
- JW Speaker LED low beam, number plate & reverse lights
- Shadow chrome (amber) front indicator bulbs
- Dealership stickers & plate holders removed
- Slimline plate covers fitted
- Tailgate "Lion" badge removed

At this stage I'm quite content with the aesthetics of the car, my only qualm that has always been apparent since the release of the Redline edition are the chrome finish wheels. If I had a spare set of wheels to get around on I would have had these at the powder coaters already (not interested in plastidip etc.) so until the wallet allows, I think the HSV-i HF-20 are seemingly good value for the money.. time will tell. Other than that, further de-chroming the exterior. The silver paintwork tends to amplify any or all chrome around the body, so a subtle black & silver theme is what I am leaning toward. I am heavily considering the VF black tail gate moulding at the moment which could be next on the list.

On the maintenance side of things, I have picked up a new OEM sump plug / washer(s) & oil filter for an upcoming oil change (haven't decided on an oil yet) & a much needed set of new ACDelco front wiper blades. Then next on the list of cheap & basic maintenance will be a new cabin filter.

Many updates & more progress to come. For now here a few pics from the sales ad which I'll consider the "before" photos.

Attachments

• 2h7n2ryr3uqnu5wfhw00q71q4.jpg
    2h7n2ryr3uqnu5wfhw00q71q4.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 8v3t8xm1zzw9k0unyasfk93sc.jpg
    8v3t8xm1zzw9k0unyasfk93sc.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 62elqaxold0l05ir7jr8mogs3.jpg
    62elqaxold0l05ir7jr8mogs3.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 422
  • m65515bhzh4ymqz190r3xtiz7.jpg
    m65515bhzh4ymqz190r3xtiz7.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 428
  • he4flpi0no5g1h2obrf2ajxka.jpg
    he4flpi0no5g1h2obrf2ajxka.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Nice pick up.

Did you know these came with Z Series floor mats ?

Commjunk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z Series Sportwagon
Nice pick up.

Did you know these came with Z Series floor mats ?

No funny enough I didn't, up until coming across them in another thread on here earlier today. If I had known I'd of likely gone with them to keep some originality. Nonetheless, I'm just glad now to have some car mats back in it. I may pick up a front set of the Z mats later on however.

Cheers for the feedback.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Mine didn't come with any mats when I got it so I grabbed the Z mats for the originality.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Welcome to the Z family :p and I agree, silver paint and chrome doesn't match. Black paint however, the chrome is just enough for the classy yet mean look I've gone for

COOP_VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 SV6 Wagon Alto Grey
Awesome pick up mate I myself love the wagon (Ignore that I have a sedan) and in one of the best colours Nitrate Silver

Definitely recommend the Castrol Edge 5w-30 Full Synthetic Oil

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Nice buy, I love the wagons too. They just look good.

Commjunk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z Series Sportwagon
Awesome pick up mate I myself love the wagon (Ignore that I have a sedan) and in one of the best colours Nitrate Silver

Definitely recommend the Castrol Edge 5w-30 Full Synthetic Oil

Cheers man. As I was saying, this one showed up in all the right specs & considering I was limited to only trading in to whatever the local dealer had up here (which was the most convenient option) I was stoked to find that it was in Nitrate Silver.

Nice buy, I love the wagons too. They just look good.

Thanks, just can't go wrong with a long roof!