Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My12 alto grey ve ss-v a6

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Just picked this car up as the daily driver for my petrol head wife a little over a month ago, just 2km on the clock.
Stock as a rock so far as we've had our first child since buying the car, but looking to tastefully(and stealthly) mod as it will be the family car - the wife is already complaining it doesn't sound V8 enough!

Colour
Alto Grey w Flame Red Interior

Year

Transmission
6 Speed Tiptronic Auto

Suspension
Stock as

Engine\Gearbox
Stock as

Current Mods:
Legal Tint
Rear Window Socks (to keep baby from toasting)
20" Camaro 2012 wheels in midnight silver,#
4 pot all around Camaro Brembo calipers in Onyx,
DBA slotted 355mm rotors all around,#
LED headlamps (Audi style),#
Rapid Exhaust DG pipes,
Bee sting aerial, and
Chrome indicators all around.

Future Mods
Turbo + cam and driveline upgrade when manufacturer warranty ends.

Here's some photo's when i first got it. Will be more to come as I negotiate with the wife and sell organs to make upgrades

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,585
Last edited:

Heath17

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Looks good mate, love the alto grey! Keep the updates coming as you get the mods going!

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Very nice, but I would say that huh! I originally wanted that interior, but got razor instead. I'll be watching your exhaust upgrade with interest, I settled for just some mufflers from an R8 for the moment for a bit of note, but it's still not quite loud enough, but no compromise on drone as I'm keeping the AFM seeing as I click up over 1000kms a week in it.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Love the grey mate.

SnowDoggyDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Very nice, but I would say that huh! I originally wanted that interior, but got razor instead. I'll be watching your exhaust upgrade with interest, I settled for just some mufflers from an R8 for the moment for a bit of note, but it's still not quite loud enough, but no compromise on drone as I'm keeping the AFM seeing as I click up over 1000kms a week in it.

Ahh a fellow Alto. I have to say I fell in love with this colour when I saw it at the dealership I pass on the way to work. I think more than any other colour it just looks the part with the SSV tail lights and body kit - I actually like the MY12 chrome inserts around the foggies and the SSV wheels with the Alto Grey.

I've done some hunting on these boards and it looks like a real problem trying to get the exhaust sounding right on the Series 2 sedans/ wagons due to the AFM (DOD) drone - its probably why Holden have made the stock muffler quieter than a lockjaw ward. I've heard a KPM system on a manual SS of my neighbours and it was heavenly - are there any comparable systems that I should be looking at? Did you grab those mufflers from someone on these boards, ebay or a wreckers? I might do the same until I settle on a catback of choice.

I was a bit bummed about the brakes though, they just feel a like a weak link (along with the Auto box but... how do I fix that?) in an otherwise spectacular car - I'd love to have the Redline Brembos but I'm not sure if they would fit under the current 19's? Anyone know if they do? The Holden dealership was not willing to upgrade the brakes for me without me paying that luxury tax penalty so I never ventured into the what if's on the SSV stock rims. My future mod of red painted calipers is just a band aid solution until I get some decent stoppers.

With the work I'm looking at doing with the car is their a recommended shop on the Gold Coast? I've heard good things of Powertorque but I think it may have been the Brissy shop that people were taking their rides to.

Also, I've always wondered what was problem with the Walky CAI and is there a POD CAI that matches the performance from an OTR - the CAI claims 5% increase and a 20% increase if in the powerpack? Only reason I ask is if the fuzz pop the bonnet and my engine doesn't look like theirs I don't really want a canary and a trip to DTMR.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I agree with the tail lights / chrome etc just suiting the grey, it just looks right, whereas some other colors, especially the tail lights, just don't suit the color. Voodo was one color I was shopping for originally, but then seeing the SSV tail lights on it just put me off, then I saw the Alto grey in a yard and that was the end of the color selection process ;)

The AFM models have a triple baffled muffler with single outlet, whereas the manual models have a dual baffled muffler with dual outlets. I am pretty sure the internals of all dual baffled mufflers, be they from an SS or a HSV are exactly the same, just the tip are different, so a set from either would give you a little more note on startup and foot down. You can hear the AFM kick in but it is not bad sounding, kinda sounds like a worked 4 from inside, don't really know what it sounds like out. I grabbed my set from ebay but they do come up here occasionally, have a look for my thread in the wanted to buy section, someone posted there recently with a set from his SSV.

As for exhaust systems suited to AFM, I've heard more people say X Force 2.5in cat back works for them than any other brand. It also seems to change car to car, the exact same system in one car will drone like hell, but sound great with no drone in another. So I guess its a $700 experiment and fingers crossed yours doesn't drone. Unless of course you are feeling cashed up and get a varex system, then you can have it whatever volume you want on start and town duties, then close it off on the freeway to avoid drone.

Luxury Tax for brake upgrade, for real? Also cant advise on the power upgrades, I haven't really looked into it, got too many other things on. I have considered just getting a tune, if it just tweaks for a little better performance I am happy with that, I must be getting old, or just sick of throwing money at cars for the 2 bursts of 5 seconds a week you really might want the additional power. I have recently learned that the auto can be tuned to shift at the range you want and to take up the next gear faster, that is something I am now looking at getting done, just gotta find a reputable place in Melbourne to get it done.

SnowDoggyDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Been awhile as life has seriously gotten in the way but recent upgrades include:

20" Camaro 2012 wheels in midnight silver,
4 pot all around Camaro Brembo calipers in Onyx,
DBA slotted 355mm rotors all around,
LED headlamps (Audi style),
Rapid Exhaust DG pipes,
Bee sting aerial, and
Chrome indicators all around.

Future mods are for POWER!

E2i8R0B.jpg

Vh69MFQ.jpg

4lHGcg6.jpg

ZktBcwm.jpg

AkhvuCh.jpg

7hJeAfO.jpg

6614iba.jpg

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Looks good. I've never seen those lights before, have you got a pic of them in the dark/ twilight?

Word of caution, any mods to the brakes of a ABS system require a full engineers cert. even if they are bigger and better than what they replaced, just something to keep in mind if you decide to sell or need a roadie.

SnowDoggyDogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Thanks for the heads up Loaded, I'll do well to remember that if/when the time comes.

Since it is not dark out yet here's a shot of the lights with just parkers on (hit unlock on key fob).

q8ERRx8.jpg

Nice white light looks a identical to the new Audi SQ5 shape and colour. I think I'll upgrade the H7 bulb to match. I got them on ebay and they're apparently ADR compliant but I have my doubts.

Looks good. I've never seen those lights before, have you got a pic of them in the dark/ twilight?

Word of caution, any mods to the brakes of a ABS system require a full engineers cert. even if they are bigger and better than what they replaced, just something to keep in mind if you decide to sell or need a roadie.