Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY15 VF Commodore

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Hi Guys, I wanted a VF SSV Redline wagon, but had to have a manual. So no purchase. $58K plus for the auto dependent on what dealer you talk to.
If it was $45k, I would have been more likely to accept the auto. After a small problem with my VF SSV I have wondered if I should have purchased a late model R8 Wagon.
I hope the commodore does go out with a more performance orientated SSV Redline. It is good that GMH embraced the new electronic technology but it came at a cost to "Performance" sticking to the 6.0litre. Maybe they didn't have a choice.

13SSVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV m6 Sedan
Hi Guys, I wanted a VF SSV Redline wagon, but had to have a manual. So no purchase. $58K plus for the auto dependent on what dealer you talk to.
If it was $45k, I would have been more likely to accept the auto. After a small problem with my VF SSV I have wondered if I should have purchased a late model R8 Wagon.
I hope the commodore does go out with a more performance orientated SSV Redline. It is good that GMH embraced the new electronic technology but it came at a cost to "Performance" sticking to the 6.0litre. Maybe they didn't have a choice.

My 6l gets up and bogeys mate. A few bolt ons maybe but nothin wrong with a 6l. Ls3 is overrated lol

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Do you think forced induction will stay as a GTS only thing? Would be pretty awesome if it could be optioned on red line and other hsv models.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
GTS only imo.....Don't know what holden might do with a bigger donk,depends a fair bit on what HSV do in their next series...

HEMI...you could spend around 6 to 7k tops on your SSV 6.0L and achieve the same performance numbers as the clubsport Gen F(317kw I think or they might now be 325?)..possibly a bit more..
The Enhanced R8 goes for roughly 80k and nets "only" 340kw...hell even beef up your brakes and you still would have 20k+ in change..
Up spec and spend around 60k all up max. on a boltons only modified redline(which has plenty of features itself)and it could match even the R8/340 enhanced model,as could your SSV..know what id buy for at least 20k less,nothing against HSV's of course,each to their own.
And yeh I know they come with more than just the additional power but im addressing hemi's performance concerns with the 6.0 :p

Last edited:

FFAman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
To the best of my knowledge VF2 (or update whatever they call it) SS will get base tune LS3 as per US model and HSV range get the new motor.

This will happen at some point next year.

MPC78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV manual sedan on order
I note the comments on cost to production line changes above. They would also have to factor in any development costs for ADE's etc.

However, I think FFAman might be right. Will GM continue to make the current motor? That might be the catalyst, although Holden could stock pile the 6.0ltr as Ford did with the old 5.0ltr Windsor motor for around 2 years.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
To the best of my knowledge VF2 (or update whatever they call it) SS will get base tune LS3 as per US model and HSV range get the new motor.

This will happen at some point next year.

Would be good, is that an educated guess or are you basing that on some intel?

I note the comments on cost to production line changes above. They would also have to factor in any development costs for ADE's etc.

However, I think FFAman might be right. Will GM continue to make the current motor? That might be the catalyst...

Yes the LS3 would make sense in production terms.

MelbourneVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I had a discussion with an engineer from Holden who overlooked the VF program and he advised me that the "updated" VF would bring in the features the Americans already have. I remember him quite distinctly saying we will definitely get the paddle shifters and the bee sting antenna, and most likely the bigger engine for the SS range. He also said however there will not be any radical changes as was between VE Series 1 & 2 which is a given as the VE II was meant to be the VF originally anyway.

Freestyla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redoine
I had a discussion with an engineer from Holden who overlooked the VF program and he advised me that the "updated" VF would bring in the features the Americans already have. I remember him quite distinctly saying we will definitely get the paddle shifters and the bee sting antenna, and most likely the bigger engine for the SS range. He also said however there will not be any radical changes as was between VE Series 1 & 2 which is a given as the VE II was meant to be the VF originally anyway.

So it's the LT1 for the HSV's?
Once again, I could be wrong, would Holden really put the SS on the same playing field as a HSV in this country by using the same LS3 engine?

I would think the HSV's would have to get an update too, no complaints here and I hope I'm just being a negative p&$#k and that update happens, would love to see a refresh for our last locally built cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MelbourneVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
So it's the LT1 for the HSV's?
Once again, I could be wrong, would Holden really put the SS on the same playing field as a HSV in this country by using the same LS3 engine?

I would think the HSV's would have to get an update too, no complaints here and I hope I'm just being a negative p&$#k and that update happens, would love to see a refresh for our last locally built cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I gave you a definite answer, I'd be lying. We didn't go into future engine specifics.
In my personal belief, if the SS was to get an updated engine, I think HSV would have to do the same. The SSV Redline is already better value than base Clubsport and far cheaper.