Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My16

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
My understanding was that it was the imported **** from third world was the loophole that was plugged. Boost for local ethanol production and reduction in excise for local production. Now is an even better proposition to make your own fuel / set up a still (if you have a winery)!
Nah Holden's smokescreen to dealers has something more important at the core methinks, dissolving of the Caltex partnership. All the co-pro guff is gone, so is the official support. The notion that it is no longer compatible this month is laughable.

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
I'll have a look in my handbook when I get home and let you know what it says.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
It was noted in an internal sales bulletin at the release of MY15 that the VF/WN are no longer E85 compatible. The sticker on the inside of the fuel door now only says E10 and Holden has removed all references to E85 in the MY15 printed and online brochures.

There's not really much more than that which could be provided. MY13 Captiva also lost its ability to use E85. This was also very quietly dropped.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Well that saves me about $2k in making my other car e85 compatible.
Such a shame as the performance gains for a FI are amazing.
Such horse5hit to do this... it's going to cost me a mint to make up those easy killerwasps in other mods.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I'll have a look in my handbook when I get home and let you know what it says.

Fuel cap prolly has some info as well confirmed no e85, but better yet is if you have OBD dongle scan scan for ethanol % after tipping in 10 litres of e85, or flex fuel. Won't hurt it but will show if there is a flex fuel sensor.

BTW the flex fuel sensor is not critical to running the L77 on flex fuel. A bit like wearing a belt and braces really.
Fuel pump is same since Series II VE update, and all GenIV have same injectors, which scale at different commanded rates on Flex cars to provide more flow (VEII has a co-processor to control fuel pressure and flow for ethanol, while VF has a more capable ECU and does away with that via software).

My point is that it can't be "no longer compatible", using it will not interfere with warranty, because there has been no announcement - I think it opens the door for having the car's flex fuel ability reflashed even with a $130 order from the local magistrate.

Perhaps this time Holden's incompetent customer communication and technical support will produce some positive results for the vehicle owner. Unlike the IQ and SatNav fiasco.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
It was noted in an internal sales bulletin at the release of MY15 that the VF/WN are no longer E85 compatible. The sticker on the inside of the fuel door now only says E10 and Holden has removed all references to E85 in the MY15 printed and online brochures.

Thanks for that. Bit fricken late when you've already bought the thing to find out last month's model goes better and saves money!!

There's not really much more than that which could be provided. MY13 Captiva also lost its ability to use E85. This was also very quietly dropped.

I'd be pissed off to know the special new Australian car with all the tricky engine stuff no longer has what is an undeniably key feature that delivers magical environment impact (40% less CO2), typically more economical, high performance benefits suddenly removed without any public announcement.

Forget for a moment whether you were attracted by any of that, it's the sort of corporate ruse that is not only ethically questionable but seems in my reading against sections of the Consumer Act.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Call me paranoid,but the hardware is all probably still there. They may well have just dropped the E85 fuel table in the ECU. They never really wanted people to use it anyhow so that is why it was detuned so the average punter could hardly tell the difference unless it was tuned and most didn't get the economical benefit as well. But 99.9% never even knew it could be tuned.

So why would they drop it assuming I am correct and all the hardware is there? I imagine oil companies would have an interest. The savings GMH made, if any, by dropping it pale into insignificance to paybacks from big oil. In any event I have a 98 and an E85 tune so it doesn't bother me but I will now be wary of taking the car near a dealer now, I always tell them no updates but my paranoia goes as far as them saying "woops" holden had an important update and sorry but you can't use E85 anymore.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I'd imagine the drop is partly a result of inconsistent E85 and cold start issues being encountered by the average punter who loves nothing but to blame the manufacturer at the first sniff of problems. I've copped a bit of flack over it in the past.

As for jumping up and down that they've dropped it without an announcement, get over it. Spec changes between MYs happen generally with no notice (irrespective of brand). I've worked for 5 different brands and that's the way it is. They don't want to lose out on sales because people are hanging on for the next model. I don't necessarily agree as a buyer but as a dealership and brand I get it.

They've done away with a feature that not a lot of people use, it causes grief in service departments, and can most likely (can't comment: re flex fuel sensor on MY15's) get back with a bit of aftermarket fiddling (which most people who WANT to run E85 will do anyway). It's hardly a key feature.

Using it probably won't interfere with warranty, but Holden would have grounds to deny a claim if it's possible fueling is an issue because it's not officially supported (just like putting E10 in cars that require 98). That's just the way it is.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Blah :blah blah: get over it... :blah blah: That's just the way it is.

Haha! Classic salesman's response, levelling where possible whilst overcoming the objection.

Sir you are not Holden hence not directly responsible, however your devil-may-care attitude to the deleterious and mysterious change to one of the product's most useful and redeeming features renders you a complicit instrument in this sleight of hand.

No point in arguing with you, no beef really. I get the feeling I'd likely end up buying one of the shitty new knackered models and shout the rest of your sales team a round. :beer chug:

Good luck with selling the new sales pitch, keep your customers smiling, :bomb:
may your new year be full of wood ducks and you get to the close before punter realises the vehicle is missing all the Eco / performance aspect as advertised and sold in reviews and detailed over the Internet until just last month. Bloody halfwits at Holden made no announcement and you were supposed to keep this secret in order to sell as many commissions without hiccup.

I think the whole issue is quite newsworthy BTW, looking forward to bringing a maelstrom to the duplicitous desks of Holden PR. I love these cars but there's no ####en way would I buy a VF Commodore without the Eco / performance aspect of the missing e85 feature. Shame,

Last edited: