Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY9.5 SV6 SIDI or alloytec?

calais701

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 LY7
Hey, I am going to buy a VE sv6 of some sort and i am probably going to buy this 9.5 one. I am just confused with what engine it is. Carsales says its an alloytec but the photo of the engine has the same cover as a SIDI and the SV6 badge on the back is further up, just like the SIDI commodores. There is no sidi badging and it is supposedly built in may 2009.
Can somebody please tell me what engine this is?
1642685190309.png

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can somebody please tell me what engine this is?
Will probably be an LLT which is SIDI, looks like the SIDI engine cover anyway. SIDI is just Holden's name for direct injection, and Alloytec is just Holden's name for GM's HFV6 engines that they use.

To summarise:
HFV6 engine family = Alloytec
SIDI = Alloytec with direct injection

If you're able to remove the engine cover you'll know it's SIDI straight away if it has a plastic intake manifold.

When you do your PPSR/REVs check using the VIN, you can decode the VIN using this page which will tell you provided the engine number matches the build plate: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/commodore-vin-decoder-vb-to-zb.279978/

Last edited:

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
The LLT SIDI has an alloy manifold
LFX SIDI got the plastic one.

calais701

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 LY7
Will probably be an LLT which is SIDI, looks like the SIDI engine cover anyway. SIDI is just Holden's name for direct injection, and Alloytec is just Holden's name for GM's HFV6 engines that they use.

To summarise:
HFV6 engine family = Alloytec
SIDI = Alloytec with direct injection

If you're able to remove the engine cover you'll know it's SIDI straight away if it has a plastic intake manifold.

When you do your PPSR/REVs check using the VIN, you can decode the VIN using this page which will tell you provided the engine number matches the build plate: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/commodore-vin-decoder-vb-to-zb.279978/
Engine number starts with LY7 which means its the same engine from 2004. Just confusing why it has the same engine cover as the all of the later engines. Thanks for your help

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Engine number starts with LY7 which means its the same engine from 2004. Just confusing why it has the same engine cover as the all of the later engines. Thanks for your help
I wouldn't be surprised if GM didn't increment their engine numbers in that way. The blocks are the same across the 3.6 range with all being based on the LY7, it's the top end that changes. As long as the engine number matches the one listed on the build plate, and the VIN listed on the build plate says it's an LLT or an LFX (not likely to be an LFX going by year) then there's not much of a question about what it is. Digit 8 of the VIN should be a 3 or a V for one of the SIDI engines.

The only Commodore that should have had a non-SIDI engine in 2009 is the Omega. Possible it's rebadge but it's not likely as to make it convincing they would have to paint the SV6 bumpers and bring over the interior.

On another note, if it's a 5 speed auto, don't touch it.

calais701

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 LY7
I wouldn't be surprised if GM didn't increment their engine numbers in that way. The blocks are the same across the 3.6 range with all being based on the LY7, it's the top end that changes. As long as the engine number matches the one listed on the build plate, and the VIN listed on the build plate says it's an LLT or an LFX (not likely to be an LFX going by year) then there's not much of a question about what it is. Digit 8 of the VIN should be a 3 or a V for one of the SIDI engines.

The only Commodore that should have had a non-SIDI engine in 2009 is the Omega. Possible it's rebadge but it's not likely as to make it convincing they would have to paint the SV6 bumpers and bring over the interior.

It is a 5 speed auto according to the paperwork and carsales ads. And I have already put down a deposit. Does that mean its been played with?

calais701

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 LY7

Also the 8th digit is a 7.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It is a 5 speed auto according to the paperwork and carsales ads. And I have already put down a deposit. Does that mean its been played with?
5 speed autos are rare as rocking horse **** and expensive to repair/replace when they go wrong. I was quoted around $5500 to rebuild my 5 speed auto on my VE SV6. You would have to give the car up for a few weeks to get it repaired as there’s no transmission swaps to be had.

calais701

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 LY7
5 speed autos are rare as rocking horse **** and expensive to repair/replace when they go wrong. I was quoted around $5500 to rebuild my 5 speed auto on my VE SV6. You would have to give the car up for a few weeks to get it repaired as there’s no transmission swaps to be had.
Ah thats great. Worked on ecotecs my whole life. 3.6 is new to me and already sounds like a downgrade when it comes to reliability and repairability.