Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MyLink audio pitch warbling from iPhone

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Paul Cordingley, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
    My MY15 VF Series 1 has had this problem from day one, just wondering if anyone else has and if they’ve had it fixed.

The problem is that the audio from my iPhone has what I describe as a sine-wave pitch warble. If you play a pure tone, that tone would slowly go up and down. Well, with normal music that pitch variance drives me insane and makes listening from my iPhone impossible.

* Has happened with every iPhone I’ve had with this car - 6, 6S, 7 and now X.
    * Happens whether the iPhone is connected via a cable or Bluetooth
    * Music or podcasts, regardless of whether it’s a stock Apple app or a third party one
    * Have swapped out many different lightning/USB cables to troubleshoot
    * Happens on my friend’s Series 1 Calais V too
    * Does NOT affect a USB key, so that’s how I listen to music
    * Typically the sound will not warble for the first 10-20 seconds, and then it kicks in and does not stop

I’d love to just be able to listen to music from my iPhone and use Apple Music for example.

Surely others have or had this same problem?

2. phantom0817

phantom0817 New Member

Members Ride:
    SS
    Yes I have this issue on my new SS, but only on Bluetooth. Since changing to USB I haven’t noticed it. Sorry to hear it’s worse for you though.

3. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    Thanks phantom. You've prompted me to try again with a USB cable, and it seems to work now. Could be latest iOS or just the iPhone X and I didn't pick up on it being fixed.

4. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Apple and Bluetooth don't play well together....
    Apple is convinced that Bluetooth is not secure enough for them, so all their Bluetooth protocols are basically hobbled...

426Cuda likes this.
  5. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    After much testing and a couple of drives to work and and back, unfortunately the warbling is still there via USB cable to the iPhone. It's subtle to be sure, but it makes everything sound a bit off-key and wrong. Again, it's subtle, but enough to ruin the music. It's like a turntable with a loose belt. I think it's back to the USB stick for me.

No one else has this problem?

6. 426Cuda

426Cuda SUBLIME!

Members Ride:
    VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
    I found compatability with my iPhone was not great. So I switched to an Android (Samsung) 4 years ago and haven't looked back. All features work and no magpies warbling,

lmoengnr likes this.
  7. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    I wonder if someone can try and test their iPhone via USB cable or Bluetooth to their MyLink please.

If you have Apple Music, download "Audio Test Tones" and play the 1250Hz tone through your car. It may be fine for a minute (it seems to be okay for a minute after the radio is turned on initially), but thereafter you should hear the tone pitch up and down continuously, very clearly, every time you play it. It will be very obvious.

8. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    Update for anyone who has this problem. Dealership dismissed problem as “Apple fault” until I demonstrated that it also happened on Android phones.

For the last 3 years I have not been able to listen to music from my iPhone due to the pitch wavering.

After raising a ticket with Holden and getting the car to the dealership again for full engineering diagnostics, they did a firmware upgrade. A significant upgrade. Looking at the revisions on the sub-systems and some are really big jumps.

Problem solved as of yesterday. No more pitch problems. I can now use my iPhone. It’s like I’ve been given a new car. I don’t know how recent the new firmware is, but it’s the first time they’ve done that on my MY15 Redline. Up to now they’ve always told me there’s no firmware available, so it took this for them to actually download and apply to my car, but what a difference.

I know for a fact that mine was not an isolated case, as you can find posters even in Chevy SS forums complaining of the same pitch problems, and a friend’s MY13 Calais V also has it. So it is fixable with the latest software, it’s not a hardware fault.

I’m a happy camper to say the very least.

dans_vz and woooo like this.
  9. DukeBen316

DukeBen316 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Series 2 SSV Redline
    Hi Paul,

This problem has been annoying me for the last 3 years with my VF Series 2 SSV Redline. I've been stuck using a USB stick that entire time too, which is very annoying considering one of the upgrades of having the Redline was the Bose sound system.

Are you able to send me something with details of the firmware upgrade or something I can show my Holden dealer to prove it's a real issue and one that is fixable via software upgrade?

Cheers

Ben

10. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
  11. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    Interesting that your Series 2 has the same problem my Series 1 had. That means the hardware units didn't change, and the firmware is not synced with the model release, which makes sense. I can tell you that the problem was permanently solved with a firmware update. Good luck!

12. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    Hello,

First time posting here. Purchased an MY14 Calais V wagon last week and LOVING IT.

However, I have noticed the above problem with the stereo and it's sending me crazy.

Could I also ask for the finer details of the upgrade so I can present it to my dealer?

Much appreciated,
    Stefan Nowak.

13. Paul Cordingley

Paul Cordingley Member

Members Ride:
    It drove me crazy too. I feel your pain. Very simply just follow what I did as documented in this thread.
    • Download a test tone generator or tones from iTunes or anything which has a steady tone. Play it and confirm that it warbles, and play that to at least one person in the dealership and get their head nodding in confirmation. This is vital. You need them to hear it, that way there is no plausible deniability of the problem from them in the future. It is super obvious with a pure sine wave tone, like 1KHz for example. Harder with music - avoid even attempting with music.
    • Demand (nicely but firmly) a firmware update. You have proof that it fixes the problem. I have a ticket with Holden about this, long closed but nonetheless on their books. Castle Hill Holden did the update.
    • If they refuse to update the firmware raise it with customer service. No matter what. Even if they say it already has the latest, it doesn’t.
    • Take a photo of your current firmware versions so that you can compare after they have said that they’ve updated it.
    Good luck.

14. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    Thank you Paul. I may even take it to Castle Hill given that they've experienced this first hand. (I'm just at Seven Hills myself) and my previous dealings with Heartland (then West City) Holden, albeit over 20 years ago were not great.

15. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    I found it was worse with Bluetooth streaming, but still very apparent via the USB cable.

Do you happen to know the Firmware version that you have now?

16. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    Update - have contacted customer care about this first off, before I go to the dealer.

Also wanting my maps updated, seems a few speed limits are off on the M2. I think these must've been mapped during the road works, also showing a 90 zone west of Windsor Rd, as it was years ago.

17. Stefan Nowak

Stefan Nowak New Member

Members Ride:
    2013 Calais V Sportwagon
    Took my car to the dealer today (Heartland at Blacktown). Enquired about the Mylink firmware upgrade and explained the issue I was having. I had the foreman come out to the car and listened to a 1 kHz test tone through the system that was warbling. He agreed it wasn't right. He then went to his office and came back and chatted about the upgrade, it was 2 versions down from the latest.. he couldn't guarantee that would fix it as it wasn't officially listed on the fix list for the software version, but it did list fixing 'glitches'.

I decided to leave the car there and for them to do the upgrade anyway.

I got the car back this afternoon and it's all good! iPhone pitch issues are rectified. I also have reverse guiding lines now in the reverse camera, which I do like. A good indicator that the upgrade has been done too.

The car is going back to the dealer in the next day or 2 to have sat nav maps upgraded, apparently the last update for the VF was mid last year.

All in all, the dealer experience was very good, a pleasant surprise. I would suggest however, when dealing with software issues, you go armed with as much information as possible so they know you're totally aware of what's going on and won't be dicked around.

Stefan.

Paul Cordingley likes this.