Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MyLink audio pitch warbling from iPhone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
My MY15 VF Series 1 has had this problem from day one, just wondering if anyone else has and if they’ve had it fixed.

The problem is that the audio from my iPhone has what I describe as a sine-wave pitch warble. If you play a pure tone, that tone would slowly go up and down. Well, with normal music that pitch variance drives me insane and makes listening from my iPhone impossible.

* Has happened with every iPhone I’ve had with this car - 6, 6S, 7 and now X.
* Happens whether the iPhone is connected via a cable or Bluetooth
* Music or podcasts, regardless of whether it’s a stock Apple app or a third party one
* Have swapped out many different lightning/USB cables to troubleshoot
* Happens on my friend’s Series 1 Calais V too
* Does NOT affect a USB key, so that’s how I listen to music
* Typically the sound will not warble for the first 10-20 seconds, and then it kicks in and does not stop

I’d love to just be able to listen to music from my iPhone and use Apple Music for example.

Surely others have or had this same problem?

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Yes I have this issue on my new SS, but only on Bluetooth. Since changing to USB I haven’t noticed it. Sorry to hear it’s worse for you though.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I have this issue on my new SS, but only on Bluetooth. Since changing to USB I haven’t noticed it. Sorry to hear it’s worse for you though.

Thanks phantom. You've prompted me to try again with a USB cable, and it seems to work now. Could be latest iOS or just the iPhone X and I didn't pick up on it being fixed.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Apple and Bluetooth don't play well together....
Apple is convinced that Bluetooth is not secure enough for them, so all their Bluetooth protocols are basically hobbled...

Reaction score
Members Ride
After much testing and a couple of drives to work and and back, unfortunately the warbling is still there via USB cable to the iPhone. It's subtle to be sure, but it makes everything sound a bit off-key and wrong. Again, it's subtle, but enough to ruin the music. It's like a turntable with a loose belt. I think it's back to the USB stick for me.

No one else has this problem?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I found compatability with my iPhone was not great. So I switched to an Android (Samsung) 4 years ago and haven't looked back. All features work and no magpies warbling,

Reaction score
Members Ride
I wonder if someone can try and test their iPhone via USB cable or Bluetooth to their MyLink please.

If you have Apple Music, download "Audio Test Tones" and play the 1250Hz tone through your car. It may be fine for a minute (it seems to be okay for a minute after the radio is turned on initially), but thereafter you should hear the tone pitch up and down continuously, very clearly, every time you play it. It will be very obvious.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update for anyone who has this problem. Dealership dismissed problem as “Apple fault” until I demonstrated that it also happened on Android phones.

For the last 3 years I have not been able to listen to music from my iPhone due to the pitch wavering.

After raising a ticket with Holden and getting the car to the dealership again for full engineering diagnostics, they did a firmware upgrade. A significant upgrade. Looking at the revisions on the sub-systems and some are really big jumps.

Problem solved as of yesterday. No more pitch problems. I can now use my iPhone. It’s like I’ve been given a new car. I don’t know how recent the new firmware is, but it’s the first time they’ve done that on my MY15 Redline. Up to now they’ve always told me there’s no firmware available, so it took this for them to actually download and apply to my car, but what a difference.

I know for a fact that mine was not an isolated case, as you can find posters even in Chevy SS forums complaining of the same pitch problems, and a friend’s MY13 Calais V also has it. So it is fixable with the latest software, it’s not a hardware fault.

I’m a happy camper to say the very least.

DukeBen316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Hi Paul,

This problem has been annoying me for the last 3 years with my VF Series 2 SSV Redline. I've been stuck using a USB stick that entire time too, which is very annoying considering one of the upgrades of having the Redline was the Bose sound system.

Are you able to send me something with details of the firmware upgrade or something I can show my Holden dealer to prove it's a real issue and one that is fixable via software upgrade?

Cheers

Ben

Update for anyone who has this problem. Dealership dismissed problem as “Apple fault” until I demonstrated that it also happened on Android phones.

For the last 3 years I have not been able to listen to music from my iPhone due to the pitch wavering.

After raising a ticket with Holden and getting the car to the dealership again for full engineering diagnostics, they did a firmware upgrade. A significant upgrade. Looking at the revisions on the sub-systems and some are really big jumps.

Problem solved as of yesterday. No more pitch problems. I can now use my iPhone. It’s like I’ve been given a new car. I don’t know how recent the new firmware is, but it’s the first time they’ve done that on my MY15 Redline. Up to now they’ve always told me there’s no firmware available, so it took this for them to actually download and apply to my car, but what a difference.

I know for a fact that mine was not an isolated case, as you can find posters even in Chevy SS forums complaining of the same pitch problems, and a friend’s MY13 Calais V also has it. So it is fixable with the latest software, it’s not a hardware fault.

I’m a happy camper to say the very least.