Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink hack or upgrade

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Voice recognition ... good point, I’ve nearly given up on it. Hard to find phrasing that it recognises when trying to call someone.
Good when it works, which is about 50:50 for me.
But I only use it for ‘phone calls.

Maybe another app apart from Google Maps? Or maybe the car has a better satellite connection than your ‘phone, shouldn’t need internet access now I think about it.
Not sure what you mean Forg? Google maps is fine. But no internet, no worky.

sequal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV
Not sure what you mean Forg? Google maps is fine. But no internet, no worky.

You can download maps in Google Maps before you leave, so they can work offline if you know the area you will be going to.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
You can download maps in Google Maps before you leave, so they can work offline if you know the area you will be going to.
Yeah ok. Does it have full functionality? I rarely use it. But handy to know.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the "mylink unlock project" is for the windows ce based mylink units found in the trax,barina,colorado (import vehicles).
while you can unlock the mylink using the development mode you still need a mobile phone that's rooted to make any use of it because you need to modify the mirrorlink app to spoof a certificate for the android launcher and any app you want to mirror.
I have done this and its laggy and just a pita and a aftermarket unit was a better solution.

the mylink units in the vf and cruze are a qnx based unit and as far as I know there is no hack for the firmware.
what people are doing is using the gvif interface between the main unit and the screen and adding another box usually android.
what they do is convert the hdmi output from android to gvif for the mylink screen to display the android.
then they ether install a another touch screen over the mylink screen to enable touch functions in both mylink and android or the splice into the original touch panel.
normally you will have to press and hold a steering wheel button or double tap etc to switch the display from the mylink to the android box.

I think the main problem is the current retail versions of this is they use cheap android boxes and that's where the problems will come from.
you can build one of these if you have experience with electronics but for most people they are stuck with the way overpriced options that are normally buggy because of cheap Chinese hardware used to maximize profits.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if you are really keen you can build a android addon yourself but if you don't have any experience with electronics then I wouldn't attempt it.

this is mine and I need to move it out of the glovebox lol
20180406_103028.jpg

the box that does the work of switching the display from mylink to the hdmi is this
http://indiwork.co.kr/shop/all-interface/hd-link/hd-link-iw03gf-for-chevrolet/

its for the cruze but the mylink in the vf is very similar, you will also need to make a canbus decoder to catch the steering wheel presses to switch the display or use the toggle switch that comes with the hd link.

if you want to enable touch functions you will need to splice into the touch panel of the mylink screen and have a converter to convert the touch x / y to usb so the android can pick it up as a hid device.

you can pretty much use any android box you like, if you want maps use a box that has gps.
you could also use apple tv or a ps4 or anything that has a hdmi output.

you can also get the n link nav box that works with hd link for maps, its a bit expensive.
http://indiwork.co.kr/shop/device/settop-navigation-n-link2/

Last edited:

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I'm very interestrd to see if someone can try putting a ZB mylink in the VF. That would require someone actually buying a ZB though...

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
.. what's wrong with My Link?

never had a problem with it....
plays CDs USBs AM/Fm and my phone (Samsung S6) works a treat with it

What is "CDs"? :p

I had a 5(?) stacker in my VE Berlina and in the 5 years I owned it, the stereo played CDs twice. Once to test a CD and another time because my GF wanted to play one she bought. Playing music from my phone made the CD player seem pointless.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ English user guide doesn't exist ... but the image shown and the description looks like you still have to use the 'phone, it's just using the touchscreen in the Commodore as a display & can't use it for feedback.