Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink hack or upgrade

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Id recommend the Kayhan units if you want a big upgrade over the factory headunits and dont mind losing the factory home screen/display. (Personally I would care not about the factory screen, and certainly would upgrade to a Kayhan unit).

My solution is for those looking to add carplay/android auto to the factory radios. Being used by about 40+ people :)

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Id recommend the Kayhan units if you want a big upgrade over the factory headunits and dont mind losing the factory home screen/display. (Personally I would care not about the factory screen, and certainly would upgrade to a Kayhan unit).

My solution is for those looking to add carplay/android auto to the factory radios. Being used by about 40+ people :)

I actually prefer the factory look personally but wish there was the added functionality of both Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I have a slight misunderstanding of the website; for a VF2, I need to send my unit to you to get programmed, but I will still have the capability of BOTH Android Auto and Apple Carplay, or can I only choose 1 of the 2? And what about the AUX programming - we don’t have that port in a Series 2 so the programming would include a replacement USB and AUX port too?

My preference in my vehicles is a system with:
- Factory MyLink
- HSV EDI
- Apple Carplay and Android Auto

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I actually prefer the factory look personally but wish there was the added functionality of both Android Auto and Apple Carplay. I have a slight misunderstanding of the website; for a VF2, I need to send my unit to you to get programmed, but I will still have the capability of BOTH Android Auto and Apple Carplay, or can I only choose 1 of the 2? And what about the AUX programming - we don’t have that port in a Series 2 so the programming would include a replacement USB and AUX port too?

My preference in my vehicles is a system with:
- Factory MyLink
- HSV EDI
- Apple Carplay and Android Auto

Thanks for the feedback, I think I need to re-explain how the kit works on the website since it does confuse alot of people.

The kit provides both Apple car play and Android Auto. All you have to do is plug in the phone (either iphone or android) and away you go, I universally say "carplay" for both apple carplay and android auto, simple because its faster than typing both names out each time :)
I actually have just brought out a wireless version of the kit too, as soon as I get a spare minute, I will do a video demonstration of that.

The cars factory USB is not used for the carplay access, you must plug into the supplied USB dongle with your mobile. I mean, I could probably make the factory USB work with the carplay kit, but then this would disable the factory USB from the mylink (Since you cant have both connected at once).

So lets do a quick break down on how the kit works in two main parts: 1: Visual and 2:Audio
1) The kit displays the visuals/carplay by taking control of the factory screen. This is done by holding the top left of the screen, or double pressing mute on the steering wheel. When this occurs, if you listen carefully, you will actually hear a little 'click' as a relay engages to switch the screen display from the mylink box to the carplay box. You can then switch back to the factory mylink display by holding screen/double mute again.

2) The kit outs the audio by using the factory AUX input of the mylink. WHen I saw AUX, I mean the actual audio input which you can select by clicking the source button. All series1 VF's have the Aux option, but VF Series2 had this removed. The aux option can be enabled in the series2 with a bit of custom programming.
Basically, the VF series2 have the internal hardware to accept the aux input, but they disable it from factory.

Finally, to access the Aux wires from the factory unit, I put together a plug and play patch loom which connects between the mylink radio box and car loom to gain access to the cars communication line (gmlan) and also the three aux wires.

Have you had a play with the VF one? and are your VE units similar to kayhans?
I personally have not used the VF Kayhan units yet. But based on their previous products for VE's, they have been fantastic, along with providing updates for any new features or bug fixes.

The VE Android units I supply are Kayhan, they are one of the only products I supply that are not put together by myself since I am a fan of their work and products.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Thanks for the feedback, I think I need to re-explain how the kit works on the website since it does confuse alot of people.

The kit provides both Apple car play and Android Auto. All you have to do is plug in the phone (either iphone or android) and away you go, I universally say "carplay" for both apple carplay and android auto, simple because its faster than typing both names out each time :)
I actually have just brought out a wireless version of the kit too, as soon as I get a spare minute, I will do a video demonstration of that.

The cars factory USB is not used for the carplay access, you must plug into the supplied USB dongle with your mobile. I mean, I could probably make the factory USB work with the carplay kit, but then this would disable the factory USB from the mylink (Since you cant have both connected at once).

So lets do a quick break down on how the kit works in two main parts: 1: Visual and 2:Audio
1) The kit displays the visuals/carplay by taking control of the factory screen. This is done by holding the top left of the screen, or double pressing mute on the steering wheel. When this occurs, if you listen carefully, you will actually hear a little 'click' as a relay engages to switch the screen display from the mylink box to the carplay box. You can then switch back to the factory mylink display by holding screen/double mute again.

2) The kit outs the audio by using the factory AUX input of the mylink. WHen I saw AUX, I mean the actual audio input which you can select by clicking the source button. All series1 VF's have the Aux option, but VF Series2 had this removed. The aux option can be enabled in the series2 with a bit of custom programming.
Basically, the VF series2 have the internal hardware to accept the aux input, but they disable it from factory.

Finally, to access the Aux wires from the factory unit, I put together a plug and play patch loom which connects between the mylink radio box and car loom to gain access to the cars communication line (gmlan) and also the three aux wires.

I personally have not used the VF Kayhan units yet. But based on their previous products for VE's, they have been fantastic, along with providing updates for any new features or bug fixes.

The VE Android units I supply are Kayhan, they are one of the only products I supply that are not put together by myself since I am a fan of their work and products.
Id be pretty keen for a VF unit supplied from you as it is very hard to get correct info out of kayhan regarding function and bugs. Looks like you need to update pricing as your VE units are cheaper than the supplier themselves:D

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
Id be pretty keen for a VF unit supplied from you as it is very hard to get correct info out of kayhan regarding function and bugs. Looks like you need to update pricing as your VE units are cheaper than the supplier themselves:D

Depends if they are the version 1 of the Kayhan Audio units for the VE.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director

Thanks TazzI for that information. That's really helpful!

I like keeping things as 'factory' as possible so avoiding changes to the system, plus the addition of USB dongle in the car, unfortunately isn't what I'm looking for. But you have just mentioned you have brought in a wireless version of Apple Carplay and Android Auto on the factory MyLink system, so I am guessing this makes the need of the additional USB dongle in the car redundant? Bluetooth connection does make life easier and I won't have to worry about an additional USB line sticking out somewhere. It would actually have been nice though if the factory USB from MyLink in the centre console had a higher power output to charge a phone.

Appreciate your explanation about the AUX input as well - that clears up confusion on my end.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I have one of these , they work well . I got it for Android Auto so I could use Waze as I hated the overly priced ( for updates ) overly out of date factory gps , as you see on mine I mounted it higher and used a single din pocket in the bottom which is handy . You do lose a few things such as speed limits on the HUD and also the parking side traffic alerts and the parking sensor warning display is a bit poxy but all of these things I can live with simply because of Android Auto
20190801_174235.jpg

20190801_174250.jpg

Last edited:

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET

Thanks for the detail above Tazzi.

I'm keen to jump in board, however I'm watching your other thread before pulling the trigger.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/replacing-the-mylink-with-a-2018-radio.277678/