Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MYLINK, Map updates for a 2013 MY14 Caprice V

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by VFSV6FORME, Mar 17, 2020.

1. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
    Been scouring the forum to find the last or the latest map update for the 2013 MY14 Caprice V. Can any member here help me get the correct numbers for (I think) the Mylink and the Map update so I dont get ripped off by our local Holden Dealers. Also I have taken photo's of the existing version on the Caprice.
    Thanks

2. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
  3. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
  4. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    I just spoke to the dealer and they have a stale map update over two years witch is better than whats on it now but they HAVE NO MYLINK Software UPDATE at all!!
    After hearing this I rang Holden Customer Car and the lady there made me jump through loops with questions and answers, she wanted to know this and that but all I wanted to know does the WN Caprice V had any update for the MYLINK since 2014? she said NOTHING!!!, I said thank you then I hung up.
    Totally useless. I cannot believe that a car that was made in October 2013 till today does not have ONE miserable update.

5. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    Just a further update our Local Holden Stealership just rang me and told me they do have a Mylink update for the Caprice V that gives me the Grid Lines when reversing and that will cost me $143 ++++++ the Map update is $178 so in total its $321. eeeek!!

6. Lex

Lex Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT Executive S1 V6 Auto Wagon
    Well, you did say Stealership.:eek: What else did you expect?o_O
    Just trying for some humour:)

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  7. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    This Lady at Holden Customer Care spend more time on where I live, what my Name is, my wife Name, What I type of toilet paper I wipe my ars.e with and yet she did even know there is a Mylink update to give me the Grid lines when reversing on the Caprice V.
    I decide to ring another Holden Dealer and its $52 cheaper so its booked for next week, yes the same k's in the other direction.

8. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    yeah correct, thats the map version.
    Thats all the other numbers.. theres not a single version.. each number listed is for a certain piece, one might be nav, one might be usb, one might be radio.. you name it. its useless a release date would make more sense to show someone.

the dealerships are pretty useless.
    i asked last time i had it in for service and they are like yes theres an update.
    and i mentioned i had the above one installed
    and they said oh no, thats the one we have
    surely they keep a history of what they have done to a car :confused:

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  9. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    where was this thing serviced? Mine was done at GM dealers only and had up to date maps/mylink when i bought it. Can't be that hard.

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  10. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    i'm sure they have to update the infotainment software to add the latest version of the maps so you shouldn't have to pay for both. The update is time consuming and does fail while downloading.

VFSV6FORME likes this.
  11. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    The Caprce V was serviced at Sunco Holden in Maroochydore for the first 3 years of its life then after that when the people moved it was serviced a typical mechanic and repair shop at Yandina QLD. Have a pretty report on the service for the remainder of years up to Dec 2019, In the Report they have check this and check that, tick, tick, tick, tick, yes, yes, yes, NO, NO, No its look good but do they do it, Hummmm dont trust anyone. Only 2 days ago I took the Caprice V to have a 4 wheel Wheel Alignment and the report look Professional. I had BEFORE and AFTER Front negative camber (A EXAMPLE ONLY) BEFORE was -0.25MM and AFTER it was -0.28MM Different L and R. WOW there new Machine its very good, well the report looks good but they do FUc.K all.
    I asked them "CAN I HAVE A LOOK WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED UNDER THE CAR AS I BOUGHT THIS CAR 6 DAYS AGO, I want to see if there is other issue" Now they replied Yes I will get a Technician to take you to your car and you can have a look under. Now on the report they adjusted the Front Camber but upon inspection I found the two front struts, those two large bolts + the adjuster not touch, never touched since the car was made. I made a Comment about this as those two large bolts has never been touched + the adjuster is the same, They comment,,, Well your car did not need to be adjusted,, I replied,,, why did you lie or the report sheet and I stormed out of the place,,, this is the shi.t we all have to put up with.

12. VFSV6FORME

Members Ride:
    Well I will keep you all informed as the car goes in on Monday next week.

13. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    True.

No doubt it’s due to design choices made by Holden to lock things up. In the process they have made it difficult even for service to do what should be a simple firmware module download to a USB stick (for a given MyLink hardware version) :oops:

It should have been possible for an owner to download such updates to a USB stick via their home computer and a web browser. And it could and should have been a very simple plug and play update from that USB stick that even your cat could do... but NO $$$ and the idea of control took over :oops:

So dealers charging a customer $$$ or simply avoiding such jobs because the manufacturer has implemented a crap system is not a solution :mad:

14. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    problem is a few levels deep here.

too easy - every man and his dog has a crack and bricks the system.
    software is pirated or modified in such a way that it causes other issues.
    dealers despite what people think do require money from services, it's part of the business model.

now i honestly get the make it easy crowd but there are real reasons behind the mentality.

15. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    I think it is a GM IP that is causing the lock down of the updates etc. I do have the second map update on a USB with my old cars VIN but I suppose that is not good to anyone now. I'm sure Mazda/Toyota do not let you update the software on your car but their maps are different. You don't want any back yarder just updating the cars opering software without any knowledge.

16. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Seriously... ever updated a PC, a phone, a BD player or a TV, or any modern electronics for that matter. It's not rocket science and other industries cope rather well with providing updates to owners of the (much cheaper) products they sell.

Calling out the risk of bricking something as a reason to lock something down so that what should be a simple tasks can be charged $$$ via service agents is misguided. Stopping me from modify what i own is also misguided on many fronts.

Service charging me a fair price to fix what i've stuffed up is an easy solution to such perceived problems. Expecting me to support a poor business model so as to prop up a service agent doing what i should have free rain to do is, well crazy, and should be called out for what it is.

And as an FYI, in the US, Chevy SS owners can buy MyLink map updates via their web browser and download tthe upadte to a USB sticks for self install... Guess down under we musy be a bunch of muppets that don't know which end of a USB stick to insert where :oops: That in itself should put into question your views of the problem being a few levels deeper :eek:

The problem was always GM/H mindset... which is no wonder that Tesla is oing gang busters and defying all the doom and gloom about them failing...

And just where is the MyLink app store that was promissed by GM execs when this system came out (rhetorical)? I want access to load my own apps... guess the idiots in change couldn't get that correct either o_O

17. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    It'd be interesting to see whats on your usb sitck but probably too big to host a disk image of it somewhere :oops:

18. Anthony121

Members Ride:
    It's got a whole bunch of data on it. And a VIN number in a file :)

19. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    I work in IT, so the answer is yah.

The answer is also i've seen how many ppl stuff it up.

20. kleanphil

kleanphil Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
    Please connect to a wi-fi network/check for updates/updates available/select install updates/update complete
    How easy could that have been

Skylarking and 3rspecB like this.