Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MYLINK, Map updates for a 2013 MY14 Caprice V

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
where was this thing serviced? Mine was done at GM dealers only and had up to date maps/mylink when i bought it. Can't be that hard.
The Caprce V was serviced at Sunco Holden in Maroochydore for the first 3 years of its life then after that when the people moved it was serviced a typical mechanic and repair shop at Yandina QLD. Have a pretty report on the service for the remainder of years up to Dec 2019, In the Report they have check this and check that, tick, tick, tick, tick, yes, yes, yes, NO, NO, No its look good but do they do it, Hummmm dont trust anyone. Only 2 days ago I took the Caprice V to have a 4 wheel Wheel Alignment and the report look Professional. I had BEFORE and AFTER Front negative camber (A EXAMPLE ONLY) BEFORE was -0.25MM and AFTER it was -0.28MM Different L and R. WOW there new Machine its very good, well the report looks good but they do FUc.K all.
I asked them "CAN I HAVE A LOOK WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED UNDER THE CAR AS I BOUGHT THIS CAR 6 DAYS AGO, I want to see if there is other issue" Now they replied Yes I will get a Technician to take you to your car and you can have a look under. Now on the report they adjusted the Front Camber but upon inspection I found the two front struts, those two large bolts + the adjuster not touch, never touched since the car was made. I made a Comment about this as those two large bolts has never been touched + the adjuster is the same, They comment,,, Well your car did not need to be adjusted,, I replied,,, why did you lie or the report sheet and I stormed out of the place,,, this is the shi.t we all have to put up with.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
i'm sure they have to update the infotainment software to add the latest version of the maps so you shouldn't have to pay for both. The update is time consuming and does fail while downloading.
Well I will keep you all informed as the car goes in on Monday next week.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...The update is time consuming and does fail while downloading.
True.

No doubt it’s due to design choices made by Holden to lock things up. In the process they have made it difficult even for service to do what should be a simple firmware module download to a USB stick (for a given MyLink hardware version) :oops:

It should have been possible for an owner to download such updates to a USB stick via their home computer and a web browser. And it could and should have been a very simple plug and play update from that USB stick that even your cat could do... but NO $$$ and the idea of control took over :oops:

So dealers charging a customer $$$ or simply avoiding such jobs because the manufacturer has implemented a crap system is not a solution :mad:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
True.

No doubt it’s due to design choices made by Holden to lock things up. In the process they have made it difficult even for service to do what should be a simple firmware module download to a USB stick (for a given MyLink hardware version) :oops:

It should have been possible for an owner to download such updates to a USB stick via their home computer and a web browser. And it could and should have been a very simple plug and play update from that USB stick that even your cat could do... but NO $$$ and the idea of control took over :oops:

So dealers charging a customer $$$ or simply avoiding such jobs because the manufacturer has implemented a crap system is not a solution :mad:

problem is a few levels deep here.

too easy - every man and his dog has a crack and bricks the system.
software is pirated or modified in such a way that it causes other issues.
dealers despite what people think do require money from services, it's part of the business model.

now i honestly get the make it easy crowd but there are real reasons behind the mentality.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
True.

I think it is a GM IP that is causing the lock down of the updates etc. I do have the second map update on a USB with my old cars VIN but I suppose that is not good to anyone now. I'm sure Mazda/Toyota do not let you update the software on your car but their maps are different. You don't want any back yarder just updating the cars opering software without any knowledge.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
problem is a few levels deep here.

too easy - every man and his dog has a crack and bricks the system.
software is pirated or modified in such a way that it causes other issues.
dealers despite what people think do require money from services, it's part of the business model.

now i honestly get the make it easy crowd but there are real reasons behind the mentality.
Seriously... ever updated a PC, a phone, a BD player or a TV, or any modern electronics for that matter. It's not rocket science and other industries cope rather well with providing updates to owners of the (much cheaper) products they sell.

Calling out the risk of bricking something as a reason to lock something down so that what should be a simple tasks can be charged $$$ via service agents is misguided. Stopping me from modify what i own is also misguided on many fronts.

Service charging me a fair price to fix what i've stuffed up is an easy solution to such perceived problems. Expecting me to support a poor business model so as to prop up a service agent doing what i should have free rain to do is, well crazy, and should be called out for what it is.

And as an FYI, in the US, Chevy SS owners can buy MyLink map updates via their web browser and download tthe upadte to a USB sticks for self install... Guess down under we musy be a bunch of muppets that don't know which end of a USB stick to insert where :oops: That in itself should put into question your views of the problem being a few levels deeper :eek:

The problem was always GM/H mindset... which is no wonder that Tesla is oing gang busters and defying all the doom and gloom about them failing...

And just where is the MyLink app store that was promissed by GM execs when this system came out (rhetorical)? I want access to load my own apps... guess the idiots in change couldn't get that correct either o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think it is a GM IP that is causing the lock down of the updates etc. I do have the second map update on a USB with my old cars VIN but I suppose that is not good to anyone now. I'm sure Mazda/Toyota do not let you update the software on your car but their maps are different. You don't want any back yarder just updating the cars opering software without any knowledge.
It'd be interesting to see whats on your usb sitck but probably too big to host a disk image of it somewhere :oops:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It'd be interesting to see whats on your usb sitck but probably too big to host a disk image of it somewhere :oops:

It's got a whole bunch of data on it. And a VIN number in a file :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Seriously... ever updated a PC, a phone, a BD player or a TV, or any modern electronics for that matter. It's not rocket science and other industries cope rather well with providing updates to owners of the (much cheaper) products they sell.

I work in IT, so the answer is yah.

The answer is also i've seen how many ppl stuff it up.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I work in IT, so the answer is yah.

The answer is also i've seen how many ppl stuff it up.
Please connect to a wi-fi network/check for updates/updates available/select install updates/update complete
How easy could that have been