Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink screen not powering on at all (2016 VF SV6 Series II Sportwagon)

UnstableRage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 V6 3.8 I Series 2
Hey guys i recently had this issue start with the mylink infotainment system where it wont power on at all.
It began with mylink starting to malfunction on previous days it turned on but was stuck on the mylink loading screen and non responsive.
none of the controls work for it, no volume on the radio, no reverse camera.
indicators and lights still work fine
im wondering if anyone has some advice on how i can fix this issue
i tried taking the negative battery terminal off for 5 minutes to see if that fixed it but it didnt.
im also wondering if anyone can tell me where the fuse locations are for the mylink infotainment system
thanks in advance

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Very similar to what happened to mine in 2021 except I lost indicator/warning sounds as well. The fuse is in the boot but I remember trying to pull that and nothing changed. Mylink would sporadically turn on but it was guaranteed to completely die again at some point. When it was alive I tried testing to see if there were any loose connectors that may of caused it. But nothing gave me the exact same symptoms.
When it was alive it would do weird things like skip songs or station but the display wouldn’t change, glitch out the music or not turn off when the ignition was off and driver door opened. One night it even came back to life without the blue background or my radio stations.

Holden ended up suggesting it would be a problem in the headunit itself so I should buy a new one. So I did. Not a Mylink. I’ve put an aftermarket system in with the Aerpro adapter and haven’t had any real issues with since.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hey guys i recently had this issue start with the mylink infotainment system where it wont power on at all.
It began with mylink starting to malfunction on previous days it turned on but was stuck on the mylink loading screen and non responsive.
none of the controls work for it, no volume on the radio, no reverse camera.
indicators and lights still work fine
im wondering if anyone has some advice on how i can fix this issue
i tried taking the negative battery terminal off for 5 minutes to see if that fixed it but it didnt.
im also wondering if anyone can tell me where the fuse locations are for the mylink infotainment system
thanks in advance
the indicator sounds come through the mylink so if they work then the mylink has power and the fuse will be intact but check it anyway.
look in your owners manual around page 270 for fuses.
you took the battery lead off which rules out the can issue it has so it might just be a dead screen module which you can replace without the need for special tools.
if your system does not have navigation you need a screen from a system that has no navigation.

if it is the mylinks silver box that is at fault you will need to have your vin programmed into a replacement unit.

if your unit has no navigation and you have to replace the screen and silverbox then you can get one with navigation and install it and just add a cheap gps ant with a fakra plug on it.

you can find them on ebay

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@UnstableRage, Mylink should last much longer that 7 years (which by the way is how long factory warranty was for some of the later VF commodores Holden sold).

Vehicle electronics should last multiple decades :cool: After all, car electronics are built to a higher standard than disposabl;e consumer electronics (like mobile phones) :rolleyes:

So, if you bought the car from a dealer, new or used doesn't matter, Holden or non-Holden dealer doesn't matter, then i'd go back to the selling dealer and state that since Mylink died within such a short time, it can't be durable as required under Australian Consumer Law. As such, you are notifying them oif the product failure and require it to be repaireed (gratis) under your ACL statutory warranty.

Plenty of discussions around ACL, especially in the Sudden loss of power steering thread, stickied at top of VF subforum). You can read that stickied thread and learn about your legal rights in the process ;)

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
check your battery connections, if they are fine, disconnect the battery for a few of minutes then reconnect. i have had the issue on the GTS after a battery change a couple of times

Mbp VF Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi guys, I have similar issues to this. My screen freezes though and also doesn't turn on straight away, staying black for about 15 seconds. I'm going to be selling it and don't want to sell it like this.
Question, are the screens interchangeable? Can I buy one from a wrecker given its the same part number?
If not, any other solutions?

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Hi guys, I have similar issues to this. My screen freezes though and also doesn't turn on straight away, staying black for about 15 seconds. I'm going to be selling it and don't want to sell it like this.
Question, are the screens interchangeable? Can I buy one from a wrecker given its the same part number?
If not, any other solutions?
Screens are interchangable. Most places sell the screen with buttons as a combo though so make sure you get correct nav or non nav versions.

Be weary though. My mylink did do similar. I was tempted to try another screen. But testing in my case pointed back to a broken headunit.

Mbp VF Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Ok thanks for that. When you say head unit do you mean the box behind the screen?

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Yeah. The big main silver unit you cant see behind everything. If its a series 1, where CD’s go into.

Mbp VF Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Ok thanks mate. Glad I asked because I spoke with Holden today and they said they were 100% sure the screen aren't interchangeable. What did you end up doing to fix yours?