Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MyLink update?

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Was browsing Holden's website and noticed that the Barina seems to have a more advanced MyLink system than the Commodore- more apps, more media options etc. It seems odd to me that a vastly cheaper car has a better featured system. Does anyone know if there's a MyLink update for the Commodore on the way or is Holden happy with their entry level hatchback having a better system than their flagship sedans?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i just bought a 2014 colorado and it has a far better mylink system in it than my vf sv6 ute has
i was kind of shocked that the vf only has a decent mylink in the upper range of the vf

not sure about the barina but the colorado mylink is powered by windows ce, the commodore mylink is powered by QNX, maybe thats got something to do with it

i kind of figured it was just a selling point for holden to flog the upper spec commodores for 2014
the 2015 or 2016 sv6 will probably get an upgrade with some story about how the 2014 cant be upgraded with the same firmware due to hardware changes lol

jhsg

Reaction score
Apparently it's because the hardware is made in different places. One is Korean and the other is japenese (I think?). They keep harping on about new apps but I was told that they will be music orientated only. TuneIn radio was one that was mentioned.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
The audio units in the VF are panasonic units and they are powered by the QNX OS which is far superior to windows CE (ouch) what a shocker to use this OS for your audio OS. Note the Ford audio system is based on a full windows OS and it much better but still inferior to the Mylink system. All VF models have the same mylink system with the only difference being red in sports models, blue for comfort and the Sat Nav if installed.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Forgot to mention that US sold VF models have additional apps to the OZ sold models

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i would rather windows ce over qnx because i can use igo and oziexplorer mapping, hema is just a modified oziexplorer
most of the aftermarket headunits are based on windows ce, named brands and chinese brands so its not really a shocker for an audio operating system its just common

the upper spec vf commodores mylink units also support dvd playback via the disc loader the lower specs cannot read dvd discs now this could because of hardware differences like the laser not having dvd read support or it could be software, i have not tested the usb on an upper spec vf but they probably support video via usb(avi,mp4) which would be another software difference(not an app)

so there is a little more than just the color

still the whole mylink system in any form is pretty poor imo i would rather a $600 aftermarket chinese unit powered by windows ce that supports everything even dtv over a glorified mp3 player with a 7 inch or 8 inch touchscreen
soon as they start selling them both my colorado and vf will lose mylink for good lol

peterhor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chev SS 6spd; 2017 SSV Redline Spitfire 6spd
Has there been any firmware updates for the VF that have been dealer installed?

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Has there been any firmware updates for the VF that have been dealer installed?

I've had about 3 updates so far since I bought my VF.

1st - supposedly fixed some bluetooth issues (which it didn't)... didn't notice anything else

2nd - again, the same, did notice iPod got better at indexing

3rd - bluetooth no problems, added curving lines to reverse camera.. not much else I can see.

Cheers

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
What apps does the us VF have?

When I had a look at one in the US, all I could notice was Sirius satellite radio (which is basically in all cars over there)... that was all it had over the VF.