Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mysterious sound and vibration

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vx commofore
Ok this is one for the brains trust.Last few months I have been chasing down a knock and vibration thru my car typically it sounded and felt like either a drive shaft or center bearing in tailshaft .Found I had to replace my left rear shaft after that it ran great for a day so pulled tailshaft nothing wrong there replaced it n it ran great then problem returned a day later(still got the shaking steering wheel like having unbalanced wheels on when you hit 97kmh) I then replaced my front brake pads and problem including the steering wheel shake disappeared for almost 3 days but it's back again now. Can anyone give some advice on what I should b looking at the car is a L67 running a standard v6 box and a 98 VT4 bolt tailshaft with a VT Lsd 3.07

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Shock absorber. Maybe settling the problem down after it’s been extended a bit when the car is jacked up?
Tie rod end?

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vx commofore
Nah at first I thought n it felt like(done a few tailshaft blow outs) a busted center bearing or drive shaft that's how noticeable it is when driving it's like someone slapping ya ass soon as you hit 97kmh now

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Torque converter.

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vx commofore
No it's not that as the knock is coming from rear of car like a busted tailshaft or driveshaft I replaced driveshaft n tailshaft center bearing is good

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Check all the rear bushes and see which ones are buggered. If the roads are still shite out that way, like they were 20 to 25 years ago, the bushes will be copping a hammering

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vx commofore
Lol there worse now funny thing but vibration n knocking was gone for three days and there is one flat road out the back here down near the school drove down there n it went perfectly I drove it down there again the other day soon as I hit 97kmh knocking n vibration is back so desperately trying to get another diff fearing that's what it is (always left rear)

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Lol there worse now funny thing but vibration n knocking was gone for three days and there is one flat road out the back here down near the school drove down there n it went perfectly I drove it down there again the other day soon as I hit 97kmh knocking n vibration is back so desperately trying to get another diff fearing that's what it is (always left rear)
How are your rear tyres?

A couple of years ago l would feel a vibration. Couldn't work it out. Checked year tyres, one was cactus. Replaced & all good.
No more problem.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
So basically it’s all good but there’s something not right.