Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mystery hose found next to AC (AC not working)

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
Hey guys,

So my air con is not working, ive tired to research it but couldnt seem to find an easy way to diagnose between needing a regas or needing a new compressor.

If someone knows a way that would be great

For the mean time. Upon inspecting my air compressor, I found this mystery hose lying on the chassis right next to it.

Would anyone know what this hose is for and if it perhaps is linked to the A/C failure?

Regards,

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Solution to the mystery.... It's an old ignition lead

You need a gauge connected to the A/C system to check the pressure of the refrigerant, there's safety cut offs in the system that when the gas leaks out the compressor will not turn on.
When you select a/c (obviously the compressor doesn't engage) but does the engine fan turn on?

Yes: Check fuses and relays for A/C system (use a dmm on the wire to the compressor and check for 12 volts when system should be on)
No: The system cut off switches for whatever are not turning the system on.

If you don't understand refrigeration systems get someone that has the training and knowledge to do the job, not worth messing around with something that is potentially dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Has it ever worked?

VS aircon systems are **** at best, 99.9% of the time it's just low gas. If you're getting a green light on the dash it suggests that your electrics are all good and the unit just needs regassing.

Like JXW suggested just go to a pro, I'm yet to find one that won't have a quick gander for free, takes them two ticks to figure out if it's gas or not. If it's not, prepare your wallet for a raping.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Looks to me you have found a Cop chip install loom

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
thanks for the replies, will be taking it to homebush tomorrow where a bloke can do a regas for 50 bux apparently.

So if the safety measure kicked in and it works again after the regas I will be overjoyed.

As for the car.

I bought it about 2 months ago.

Not sure what kind of cop car it was as on the engine plate it states its a BT1, however it has a v6 engine, There are a bunch of holes around the head unit I suppose for the computers back then.
Also found it has a LSD, not bad for $1000 with 117ks and immaculate paint. But that's for another thread

Anyway, will report back on what the regas does tomorrow, or how much lube the mechanic will use on me before I get my wallet raped and pillaged.

:)

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
VS aircon systems are **** at best,

Dunno what VS commodores you've been in, mine would have to be one of the best A/C getting around. Better then majority of new cars ive driven thats for sure.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Dunno what VS commodores you've been in, mine would have to be one of the best A/C getting around. Better then majority of new cars ive driven thats for sure.

my VS and VY are pretty dismal A/C TBH
the old mans VP has to be one of the best i have had

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
A ex cop car only 117k's. That's really good for it's age considering they would get over 40 000 on them in about a year (depending on location). What colour is it? If white it would have been a general duties car, otherwise other colours would have been detectives or admin cars. The holes in the centre console were for the police radio. Any maccas wrappers still under the seat????? Does it have the original log book as well? If it does there will be a 5 digit number on it. The coppers have a fleet management system which shows the history of the car, location, services, prangs, fuel used per month etc. If you have a cop mate he can look it up. It's not connected to the criminal computer or anything like that.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

Back when I was doing autoglass in Adelaide, pretty much all of them, lets just say lots and lots. Tinting cars gave you the best perspective to rate systems as you'd go pick up brand spankers sitting on a lot in the hot, hot sun. If it couldn't make you comfy by the time you got to the shop it was an instant fail. That was the VR-VX in a nutshell. Most Euro cars (and some US) will destroy your standards of air con, you were feeling instant relief in a 60c cabin. My old mans Volvo's were beast's, could make ice in those things.

The reference was more to reliability though. I was so jack of mine I just turfed it when the blower went on, my compressor has been an idler pulley for a couple of years, lol.

my VS and VY are pretty dismal A/C TBH
the old mans VP has to be one of the best i have had

For sure, my VP is easily colder, but best of all hasn't been touched in the 3 years and 40k I've owned it, just keeps on keeping on.

Kierab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 3.8L
A ex cop car only 117k's. That's really good for it's age considering they would get over 40 000 on them in about a year (depending on location). What colour is it? If white it would have been a general duties car, otherwise other colours would have been detectives or admin cars. The holes in the centre console were for the police radio. Any maccas wrappers still under the seat????? Does it have the original log book as well? If it does there will be a 5 digit number on it. The coppers have a fleet management system which shows the history of the car, location, services, prangs, fuel used per month etc. If you have a cop mate he can look it up. It's not connected to the criminal computer or anything like that.

Unfortunately no 5 digit numbers, unless its on the engine plate. There were numbers on there I was unsure of beside colour code vin etc. The colour is turquoise blue and its a 94 model. Would be awesome to get some history of it. If I do get this number, do you reckon I could go into a cop shop and say hey wanna do me a favour and look up my car? :)