Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mystery not starting problem

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Hi all. Been a long time since I've been here. Lost my VK in the divorce. Sigh...

Anyway, daughters VX V6 wagon has a starting problem. It won't start immediately. She has to put the key in and turn the ignition on, then wait for 6 minutes. I don't know why 6 minutes, but it will then start after a couple of cranks. If you try starting before the 6 minutes it won't start. Just cranks over. I'm guessing the actual time has nothing to do with it, but it's like something is warming up or pressure is building in the fuel system for a while before it will start. Even after driving it for a while, she has to go through the same routine for it to start again.

When she drives the thermo fans are always on full. I think the car is haunted.

We've replaced the fuel filter thinking maybe a blockage that eventually clears. And also replaced the fuel pressure regulator, thinking maybe it's not holding pressure after standing a while. Both no effect.

I can hear the fuel pump kick in when the ignition is turned on, but it seems sporadic. I was thinking fuel pump, but it could be something electrical. Maybe a relay? With the thermo fans and starting probs, is it a computer prob?

Anyone have any ideas? This is weird.

Thanks

booms

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Have you had the computer scanned for possible fault codes?

boomer03

Dolphin Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 Manual
Not yet. Too scared to take it in in case they laughh at us.....

D

devilly

fault codes you can get yourself,look into bridging pins 5&6.fans are not working correctly could be relay,fuse or something else going on.

could be a number of things with it not starting first go,u could try putting in injector cleaner.when you just turn on acc check the noise from fuel pump kinda sounds to me like it's turning on and off,loosing pressure.check for any fuel leaks at the rail and injectors themselves.

to me sounds like a few different problems going on at the same time.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think you are onto something with the haunted theory. Burn it at the stake to excise all demons and get back to us with the results.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
does the check engine icon light up when you turn ignition to on without starting
if yes does this come on when driving
when cranking engine does flashing red mode light go out

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I'd say it has a faulty Coolant temp sensor. Or the wiring/plug associated with it.
The fans will stay on if it's faulty. It's a safety feature, as the ECU can't recognise the coolant temperature properly, so it switches them on
just in case it starts to over heat.
Oh yeah....It's a bitch to start if the sensor is faulty. Because the ECU can't determine the proper injector fuel pulse rate.

If all is working properly.....
As soon as the engine is started, the ECU reads the coolant temperature (and the intake air temp sensor) to determine the amount of fuel it needs to let through the injectors to start the engine. It's called "the injector pulse rate".
If these are in conflict with each other, you will have trouble.
i.e. If the engine is cold, the ECU will allow the injectors to stay open (pulse) longer to allow more fuel through (Richer).
And as the engine gets hotter, the ECU reduces the pulse rate (leaner).

Last edited: