Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mystery of the ECT Sensor - VS 5.0 Caprice

Kerbstomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Caprice S2
Hey all,

I'm in Perth and am having some major issues sourcing an ECT Sensor for my caprice... Been to all the usual outlets (Repco, Coventrys, Auto1, Veale) and the sensor they all get off their systems is completely different to the ECT sensor which is on my car.. It's a 97 VS Series II and everything about the sensor (thread size, pin configuration, connector type, nose etc) is completely different to the one they're telling me I should be getting.. Now it's the original motor, I know the guy who owned the car for 10 years before me.. Anyone know somewhere in Perth that may be able to help identify the sensor from my car?? :hmmm:

Cheers

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Whats the ect sensor, where is it, whats wrong with yours?? pretty sure i dont have one. Do you have the 195 motor maybe that has a few extra bits?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ECT would be the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor.The workshop manual says the V8 engine has them both located on the front of the inlet manifold.Theres 2 sensors next to eachother there,ones for the temp gauge,it uses a single wire,the other multi wired one if for the ECU.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I would go with a genuine part.

Holden prices are quite reasonable (sometimes cheaper than aftermarket) compared to other makes. *Subaru anyone??*

Sounds to me like they are trying to sell you the sender for the gague not the sensor for the engines computer.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
ahh, yes. as above then.^^^^^^^^^^

Kerbstomp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Caprice S2
Yeah cheers all, was indeed as you say, it was the sender they kept trying to palm off.... Went direct to Holden and they knew what I was after straight away AND it was about a 1/4 of the cost...