Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mystery of the leaking coolant...

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
Went to the dealer last week to have my cooling system checked as it was leaking coolant from the system. I worked out it is from somewhere under the dash on the passenger side. Dealer said they tightened the radiator hose. It didn't leak for a day or so, now the same leak is back. I took it back to the dealer today and he said that it must be leaking from the heater box. He said that you need to take the "whole dash out and it will cost a minimum of $1000 to fix". Does this sound right, or do I have a flashing neon sign on my forehead saying "I'm a fu%*wit?" :hit:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
They could be trying to take you for a ride there. Where exactly is the leak coming from? Inside the car or the engine bay? Correct me of I'm wrong but they don't need to take the dash out to access the heater box anyways do they? I'd get a second opinion but don't tell them what the dealer said. Just see what they say.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Does it only happen when the air con is on by any chance?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
replacing the heater core is not a simple job, most of the lower dash will need to come out, i think ifyou do a search in the how-to section there should be a thread there on how to do it. you would definitly want to be cetain this is your problem before going down this road. if the heater core is leaking you would normally find a wet spot in the carpet in the footwell. take it to a radiator outfit and get them to do acoolant system pressure test, that should track down theleak

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
The leak is coming from under the car. I measured it - 1.6m from the front of the bonnet. It is slightly off-centre, on the passenger side. I top up the coolant about every 6 weeks and it uses about 3/4 of a litre. I will check if it's only when the aircon is on though. Is there a leakage problem from the aircon sometimes?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If it does turn out to be the heater that is leaking there is an easier and quicker way of replacing the heater without pulling the dash - its somewhere in the "how to's" From your description of location it could be coming from one of the aircon/heater drain tubes which would mean the heater leaking but thats without actually measuring so I could be wrong.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
The leak is coming from under the car. I measured it - 1.6m from the front of the bonnet. It is slightly off-centre, on the passenger side. I top up the coolant about every 6 weeks and it uses about 3/4 of a litre. I will check if it's only when the aircon is on though. Is there a leakage problem from the aircon sometimes?

Sounds like the heater core is leaking, and then running down through the evapourator drain points under the car, where the water should drip out from when running the A/C, especially in humid conditions.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Rickman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8
Sounds like the heater core is leaking, and then running down through the evapourator drain points under the car, where the water should drip out from when running the A/C, especially in humid conditions.
I had another look today, and it looks to be leaking from 2 points about 100mm apart that run across the car. That's from looking at the drip pattern on the ground. I've had problems with the evaporator tube before and had it fixed (again) about 6 months ago. I can't be sure, but I don't think it is coming from the evaporator. I'll check the repair link though - thanks for that.