Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

mystery tonneau

jazzhunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5l BT1
Hey guys. Just picked up a VY SS ute for a good price but the hard top had been removed. (I don't care - I prefer a soft tonneau.) So I bought a soft tonneau off gumtree and it's not right for a VY. It's got the same sort of plastic lip as a Ute tonneau but the bar that slots in the tray behind the windscreen is about 100 or 150mm too narrow. To make it weirder, one of the support bars fits across the tray pretty well but the other is much wider. Does anyone have any idea what this tonneau may suit, so I can get rid of it and buy the right one :)
(BTW - I know this isn't really a VY question but I couldn't figure out a better place for this question.)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Only other model it could be is a VE as the vs and earlier ran a different style.

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
on my ss ute the 2 support bars have to be in the correct spots, they wont fit if they are not in the correct spots.
Also I got a plastic lip running all the way around it as it clips in under the lip on the tray.
I would take a photo but im not home for a week

jazzhunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5l BT1
Excellent - I think you've got it Sandman. After you said that I found a couple of photos of VE tonneaus and that narrow bar looks like what I have.
Yep, you're right, Big_Simmo, the bars do have to be in the right places but I tried every combination and one of them was too wide no wonder where it went.
Thanks guys...now all i have to do is swap my VE tonneau for a VY one :)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Good to hear mate, should be easy to pick up one too. VU/VY/VZ tonneaus will all be the same size by the way too.