Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Miccydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 RG spacecab colorado
First off, this is purely about n/a ecotecs. If your here to tell me to turbo or supercharge the engine for any 'real' power gains then please, do me a favor and take your oppinion to another thread.

I'm building an ecotec to drop into a gemini which is going to be qld roadworthy. So nothing over 4.0L n/a and 2.5L FI. All i want to know is what sort of figures have people seen to a fully worked ecotec?

I'm going to stripping it back to the block and rebuilding everything with performance parts.

I understand it all comes down to how much im willing to spend and money isnt going to be an issue with this project.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Higher compression, good heads, cam to suit, intake and exhaust, should make plenty for the gemmie and surprise a few unsuspecting.
Keen to see this completed!!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
You reckon you could go really high in the comp and E85 it?? That would be cool.

How many rpm will you be looking for?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above, I'd suggest going E85 with a lot of comp. Get some flat top pistons in it with a big cam, work the heads a bit etc.

One forum user was sitting over the 200kw mark but even he'll tell you it wasn't real street friendly.

Miccydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honestly, the main figures i'm chasing at 200 rwkw as everyone keeps telling me to turbo the g161's and g1800's that came in the gemmies. But theres no replacement for displacement haha. Shouldn't anything be street friendly if setup correctly? I'm going to be ripping out everythin in the drivetrain and replacing it with performance commy parts including brakes. I honeslty havent looked into the e85 aspect so not too sure. But i thought the higher my comp tge higher octane i need to run??

Miccydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Im told that $10k will turbo the 4 pot and give me 170-180 rwkw. I want to be able to reach more than that from the n/a. And if i can get similar power to weight ratios as a current hsv then i'll be happy (which is 190-225kw per tonne on a complete guess)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
200rwkw has been done but not been street friendly means big cam, lots of comp so choppy idle. Would need a decent transmission and converter to tame it, would be fun with a manual.

E85 is very high octane and tuner friendly but you will use about 30% more than petrol so bigger fuel system that can withstand the corn juice.

Miccydee

Reaction score
Members Ride
Planning on a fully worked 4l60e with shift kit and 2500 stall

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
I run a buick v6, but have gone 292rwhp (roughly215rwkw).... to make that Hp you wil have to fairly wild on the build, But been ecotech should be easier then the buicks i think!
The 4.2l stroker made it alot more driveable an tamer in my engine with alot more low down an mid range torque. And was done through a trimatic gearbox with a 3700rpm stall

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
I run a buick v6, but have gone 292rwhp (roughly215rwkw).... to make that Hp you wil have to fairly wild on the build, But been ecotech should be easier then the buicks i think!
The 4.2l stroker made it alot more driveable an tamer in my engine with alot more low down an mid range torque. And was done through a trimatic gearbox with a 3700rpm stall