Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

N13 *pulsar* tacho/speedo issues

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all, been a while since Ive been on here. I know its not a commodore but I remember a few members on here knew their stuff about instrument clusters so here we go. Cluster is also by VDO, the internals seem to be pretty similar compared to the VN era (maybe others not sure).

First problem was the odometer diddnt work. Seems to be a common problem with N13's. I picked up a donor car nearly identical to mine and saw the odometer seemed to work so I decided to swap just the odometer board into mine because the rest of the cluster worked perfectly. I had already replaced the little gear that usually breaks but the original one was fine. At first success! But the speedo was reading about 5km over so I popped the needle/pointer off to adjust it a bit lower but broke the damn shaft that it sits on. Pulled the cluster apart again to swap the speedo/odometer unit over which then worked again apart from the speedo reading about 10km over (not exactly sure, set the needle a fair bit lower to test) and the tacho reading 500-1000rpm under.

Previously have re-soldered most of the main joints inside the cluster because of the odometer. All the joints on the voltage regulator board appear to be fine. Fuel, temp and odometer appear to work flawlessly. I will also add that I have 14's and larger profile tyres fitted that have a noticeably bigger rolling diameter compared to standard so really the speedo should actually be reading under. The tacho likes to sit around 2000rpm when cruising but moves higher with a bit of throttle. Theres also a very distinct intake note that would happen at 4000rpm, now about 3500rpm.

Before I take the bloody thing out again would it be worth trying the voltage regulator from the donor cluster? Or does it sound like something else?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.