Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] NA,NAII,NC,NCII Fairlanes what everyone thinks of them

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
bout as good as a vn commodore

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
my mate has a NC LTD - not the normal fairlane ghia but the LTD so it's a V8, but most older fairlanes are. it's a comfortable car but even for the time when they where brand new they looked old like something from the early 80's - but that's the american styling for you. my old VR statesman was from the same era and they look much better and far more modern in comparison to the fairlane. imo fairlanes in general are pretty ugly cars too, the AU fairlane was a absolute joke of a luxury car and the BA/G220 look just like a falcon. the only ones that are bearable to look at where the NF/DF and the NL/DL.

it goes well (it's a slug getting going though despite being well looked after) it handles like a tank, feels ridiculously heavy like a tank and has the turning circle of a small truck so is next to impossible to park in a busy carpark and from the steering wheel the bonnet looks like it's a mile long.

I wouldn't own one myself and that's not just because I'm a statesman guy.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
They are really the only ford's that I like, I actually have a soft spot for them it was the first car that my uncle taught me the basics of cars about 10 years ago :beer chug:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Ford seemed to lose their way once the VQ Statesman appeared. Until then, they pretty much had Holden's measure and Fairlanes were more popular.

I reckon from the NA, they dropped their bundle and designed mighty awful looking cars and their sales really started to fall. None of the later models could ever be called desireable or attractive and IMO, the equivalent year Stato's left them for dead.

Would not touch a Fairlane built after the ZD as those which appeared during the XA to XF Falcon era (can't think of the model designations) suffered from the same chronic rust that Falcons did.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Came across an old fairlane yesterday. Damn ugly cars.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I sold an NF Ghia 12 months ago....Biggest lump of crap I have every owned....

In the first 6 months, I replaced the starter, the left hand electric window winder mechanism, the head gaskets, the sump (sump plug hole was ####ed by a previous owner) and the final straw was the inlet manifold gasket again......In the end it wouldn't rev over 2,500 RPM....so out the door it went...

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
the AU fairlane was a absolute joke of a luxury car.

Why exactly do you say this? I've found the AU Fairlanes I've dealt with to be very nice cars to travel in. I wouldn't say they're an absolute joke of a luxury car, what I would say was a joke of a luxury car was having the VS series III models competing against the early AU Fairlane, 2 years after the VT was released...

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
The AU just a horrid looking car, inside and out. The dash and console is just plain ugly. I've got no idea what they where thinking when they designed it.

The series 3 VS and the statesman in general far outsold every fairlane - as stated because the ghia was a ugly car and was more expensive than the statesman.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys I have found a 1990 fairlane with the btr 4 Speed slush box but it won't go into 3rd and 4th the fluid smelt burnt but was about a dull cherry red so my idea was to get
1. New fluid
2. Tranny service kit
3. All of the filters
4. Change the engine oil
So any other ideas that I should try for this old girl :-D