Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] NA,NAII,NC,NCII Fairlanes what everyone thinks of them

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
unlikely going to be a fluid issue if it's only 3rd and 4th.

I would say there is some trans damage/failure.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Those old btr 4 Speeds how easy are they for working on or just drop the box and swap it with a reconditioned unit? My idea was to drop the pan on the box and service it then refill with slightly thicker oil and see what happens

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Once again, unlikely the fluid will do anything, if it was slipping I would say try new fluid, but the fact it's not shifting into those gears at all makes me think there is more serious issues.

I would just pick up a working second hander and slap it in, it's really not worth reconditioning the trans (thats $1000-1500 minimum) unless the rest of the car is decent enough.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey guys I have found a 1990 fairlane with the btr 4 Speed slush box but it won't go into 3rd and 4th the fluid smelt burnt but was about a dull cherry red so my idea was to get
1. New fluid
2. Tranny service kit
3. All of the filters
4. Change the engine oil
So any other ideas that I should try for this old girl :-D

A box of matches and a litre of petrol?

Last edited:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Humour me, why would you ask questions about fairlanes on a Holden forum? Do you honestly expect to get any positive responses?

However, since you asked, I'll say what I think of them. They're junk. NA onwards are butt ugly, the V8 is **** compared to the injected Holden 5 litre, the autos aren't much chop, the only thing they really having going for them is the 6 cylinder isn't a bad thing apart from blowing head gaskets. I personally, wouldn't have one if it was given to me (except to crush it for scrap metal).

Every model statesman of the same year runs rings around a fairlane in nearly every way. The only thing they have is the inline 6 is arguably a better engine than the V6, but the V8 model, there is absolutely no comparison.

Oh and BTW, a service won't fix the auto, it's dead.

Why exactly do you say this? I've found the AU Fairlanes I've dealt with to be very nice cars to travel in. I wouldn't say they're an absolute joke of a luxury car, what I would say was a joke of a luxury car was having the VS series III models competing against the early AU Fairlane, 2 years after the VT was released...

Yet, the VS statesman was still a much better car than the AU fairlane, especially in terms of looks.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
For me it's one of those things - I know they are bad but i still want one. Id love a mint black DC LTD V8. They just look so old school mafia, they have presence and class.
Like I know that it would not move, or turn, or park. but damn it would be a good cruiser.

But ill make do with my Anthracite VQ Caprice. That doesnt move much either, unless you put your foot right into the carpet. It doesnt need to, its a cruiser.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Humour me, why would you ask questions about fairlanes on a Holden forum? Do you honestly expect to get any positive responses?

However, since you asked, I'll say what I think of them. They're junk. NA onwards are butt ugly, the V8 is **** compared to the injected Holden 5 litre, the autos aren't much chop, the only thing they really having going for them is the 6 cylinder isn't a bad thing apart from blowing head gaskets. I personally, wouldn't have one if it was given to me (except to crush it for scrap metal).

Every model statesman of the same year runs rings around a fairlane in nearly every way. The only thing they have is the inline 6 is arguably a better engine than the V6, but the V8 model, there is absolutely no comparison.

Oh and BTW, a service won't fix the auto, it's dead.

Yet, the VS statesman was still a much better car than the AU fairlane, especially in terms of looks.

Interesting you say why ask about a Fairlane on a Holden forum , mmmmmm, by the same token why show a BMW's on a Holden forum , why show a Impala ? Because car guys are united as one regardless of choice of car .Personally I'd love an old Jaguar but I know it would send me broke in maintenance .Having an Alfa Romeo is bad enough .

Last edited:

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Showing your car/build up off is very different to asking for people's opinions on a car you're looking to buy, you're really just leaving yourself wide open for negative opinions IMO. Mabye I'm a little narrow minded, but there is only 1 or 2 fords I'd ever consider buying and it certainly wouldn't be a later model fairlane. To be brutally honest, there is only a handful of cars I'd own that wouldn't have some sort of Gm badge on it, that's why I only go on holden forums. Having said that, I can walk around car shows and appreciate all different cars for the work that has gone into them.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Showing your car/build up off is very different to asking for people's opinions on a car you're looking to buy, you're really just leaving yourself wide open for negative opinions IMO. Mabye I'm a little narrow minded, but there is only 1 or 2 fords I'd ever consider buying and it certainly wouldn't be a later model fairlane. To be brutally honest, there is only a handful of cars I'd own that wouldn't have some sort of Gm badge on it, that's why I only go on holden forums. Having said that, I can walk around car shows and appreciate all different cars for the work that has gone into them.

That's true , but also getting an objective opinion from members of a Holden Commodore forum is not a silly idea , much like some of the Moderators here drive Fords , and BMW's it's good to have a unbiased view of things , I'm a member of a forum where car choice is of no significance at all , just a site where car guys talk about well .... cars and tools and other cool stuff .