Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Names Compulsory on the 2016 Census

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I plan on doing it this weekend to avoid the surge. I see no harm as long as my answers reflect my situation for the night of the 9th, I don't plan on losing my job or having a kid in that time soooo I see no issue.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
One way of screwing the data collection is providing garbage data; "GIGO" (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The last census we had that was on paper I actually filled out, the questions that I found to be too intrusive I answered "I am not comfortable providing this information" I mean the question of how much I earn, in what way does that help with future planning. We will still need hospitals, new roads and what not regardless of how much a person earns.
Anyway I never actually got around to sending it in and found it sitting in an old pile of paperwork probably 2-3 years ago and then I just shredded it.
Also, the last census if I remember correctly you filled out anonymously, now with this current census you are given a login number which will correspond to your address and I have heard that you have to supply your name when completing it.
Personally I am still undecided whether or not I will bother doing it, although I understand why the census is necessary in regards to the future planning for infrastructure.
But are the personal questions actually necessary for future planning?

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I do not know about you guys, but if you pay taxes they have all the info they need, so why bother? I bet that data is somewhere in the cloud... perhaps they are too lazy to sort it out.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I do not know about you guys, but if you pay taxes they have all the info they need, so why bother?

I was actually thinking the same thing.
After a quick look at the census website, maybe I won't bother until instructed in writing.....

http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3...penDocument#Question 1: What is the authority

Take note of question 2

Question 2: Is the survey compulsory?

Answer: All ABS surveys are conducted under the authority of the Census and Statistics Act 1905. Initially you are being requested to answer the questions, but if the Australian Statistician directs you in writing to provide the information, you are legally obliged to do so.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Yup, ATO knows:

salary
address
dependents

What else is there to know?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
But are the personal questions actually necessary for future planning?

They aren't and the ABS is trying to make out that everything will be anonymised anyway - to which I say, what the hell why ask in the first place!?

This is a direct quote.

ABS responds to incorrect assertions in AFR story about Census

Names and addresses will be stored securely and separately from other Census data, and each other, and will never be recombined with other Census data.

That being the statement the obvious thing to say is - gtfo ABS, you are over-reaching.

The only reason I can think of is simple, data points - different govt agencies combine their data.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
One way of screwing the data collection is providing garbage data; "GIGO" (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

And cop a $1800 fine.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I see... either way you guys are getting reamed one way or the other. Looking in the way the USA operates... Could be also a contract that someone is getting a good paycheck for managing a forced feed data base. At least in the USA is done behind your back, without the people knowledge, paid by the tax payers (NSA).

Status
Not open for further replies.