Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Names Compulsory on the 2016 Census

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
My question still stands..

On the night anyone with half a brain should have expected DDOS. First step in prevention plan should have been to ignore overseas IP packets on the 9th of August.

people using a VPN, like me

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
As I've said many times, the government already has my name, date of birth and my address, and a whole lot more information than that. The Census isn't anything new. The tinfoil hat brigade think it's some massive conspiracy which I suppose is not surprising and good for a laugh.

Yes there are government departments and private organisations that already have our details. Yes the ATO is a prime example.

The key things to consider are:

- Privacy is either maintained or eroded incrementally.
- It is the choice of the individual to determine how much privacy is comfortable/suitable for him or herself.
- Organisations like the ATO have a proven track record of security
- The ABS has a proven track record of security and protocol failures
- The Census had always provided a choice of anonymity in the past
- The ABS is now forcing people into eroding their own privacy for no good reason other than they are either lazy, incompetent, or both. Apparently having our names and addresses makes their job easier.
- Ostensibly the ABS has far too much power for their current level of competence
- Many of the ABS's policies and attitudes are totalitarian in nature. (I have personal experience here that can not be "unseen")

There is no conspiracy. It is more akin to the analogy of handing the car keys to your drunk teenage son. Anyone with even a little forethought can see that bad things are likely to happen.

The Census in current form simply represents too greater risk to one's privacy, end of story.

If you don't believe me.. how about two experts in the field?

"This, without doubt, is the most significant invasion of privacy ever perpetrated on Australians by the ABS." - former statistician for the ABS, Bill McLenna

“Australians should be worried” about the ABS collecting their personal information, stating “…they can’t guarantee the security of the information.” - Dr. Mark Gregory from the RMIT School of Engineering

View the evidence, evaluate the facts and draw a logical conclusion.

Quite frankly, you can take your tinfoil hat and shove it up your busted asshole.

Last edited:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I get the privacy concern and bothers me too, we have the same issues in the States; our Gov is very intrusive in the name of Security and Safety. There are people out there that consider privacy seriously. I am not doing anything wrong, so... why spying on me then? You guys should watch the movie "Colossus: The Forbin Project" an old 70s flick and deals with privacy and computer control. I said this before and once more again; IBM helped Nazi Germany with a tabulating system to track the population, specially the Jews.

As far the technical part. Just a poorly executed plan and sounds to me that is a scam. Someone wanted a Census, an IT firm sees the opportunity. Is either the Gov is too cheap that hired the lamest of the lamest or the contractor robbed the Gov blind with a shitty service.

By the way... an easy way to spoof an IP is to find a Proxy Server and they are lots out there in the ether badly configured. I knew people in Europe that watched US Zone Netflix and other streaming services not available overseas by doing just that.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
Really, I have to explain this?

Entering personally identifiable infromation into a VPN connection only identifies you as the user of the VPN thereby undermining the use of it in the first place.

i answered your question of why i have an international ip addy.
i use a VPN for work purposes, not privacy purposes.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
VPN is a secure way to access a network. The visual analogy is sending a Steel ball inside of a Steel tube. There is encryption going between the VPN server and the node. Once is in, it behaved like you are inside of the network. From there out, you use the network proxy server. That is how your home IP address changes when it goes in the cloud. If you open the local machine browser and depending how your VPN is set up, you will be using your local machine IP and browser. For example, Citrix creates a "vitual machine", your system becomes a glorified terminal. In that session, you think you are using your machine but in reality, you are accessing a node in the network, just like using PC Anywhere, Dameware, Windows Remote PC, etc... All the computing is done remotely; that makes possible the usage on slower connections. That is why when you open Citrix you might see a series of Icons for different applications. On that setup, you can use your local machine like you normaly would and the VPN Citrix on the side.

Try adding some IP addresses from another place proxy servers. The bad part is that can also be a monitoring site, a data collection point. You can try to see how it works.
https://www.us-proxy.org/

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
i answered your question of why i have an international ip addy.
i use a VPN for work purposes, not privacy purposes.

In which case I apologise for my condescending tone. Raj: this is not in anyway to be misconstrued as me changing my opinion of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.