Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Narrowly avoided a crash today....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Victimiza, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Victimiza

Victimiza LG, v8.

Members Ride:
    VT II SS 380rwhp, VZ calais
    a white falcoon pulled out in front of me, I applied brakes, mounted curb.

as a result of the incident I have no numberplate or eye witnesses, only skid marks, and two buckled rims and shot suspension.

when driving my car it feels almost like square wheels, im thinking maybe steering rack, bushes, struts even, does this sound about right?

just need some opinions on what the problem may be - ive replaced buckled rims and tyres (swapped from my other car), any maybe if anyone was in WA could recommend someone that could offer an inspection/quote would be great.

thanks.

2. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    How fast were you going when you mounted the curb? And what sort of curb? I mounted one at 30-40km/h and my car was fine. Missed the tree on the left and stopped before the house's fence.

People will say you should've hit them, but i say that's bullshit. You are then left without a car because of a collision. And your car is never the same after an accident!

Did the tyres have a bubble bulge in them? Also, if you measure the wheels are they in line? You can use your fingers to get a rough guide!

3. Victimiza

Victimiza LG, v8.

Members Ride:
    i probably hit the curb at the same sort of speed 30-40kmh, this was a __ shaped curb
    /
    not a little baby one, the sort of curb your rear end hits the floor as you drive off or catches your extractors :bang:

ill have to have a look tomorrow morning, somethings definately not in line, the rear tyre had an implosion sort of bulge and the front tyre had come off of the rim. pretty sure its only the front end thats damaged though.

the last thing i want to do is hit the front end of my car when its had 15-20k spent on it :p

glad to hear im not alone in not wanting to hit him in the ass/side.

4. Victimiza

Victimiza LG, v8.

Members Ride:
    after mounting the curb the car spun around and fell down a sand hill into some bushes, had to get my mate to pull me out with his patrol asap, no witnesses, 19y/o with v8 = byebye license.

5. Mavr1k

Mavr1k New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS 6 Speed Manual
    Thats rotten luck mate......How many of us have swerved to miss someone cutting us off only to do damage to our cars.... The worst part is half teh time they don't even acknowledge that they have done anything wrong or they give YOU the finger :bang:

6. Morton

Morton For external use only

Members Ride:
    Fairstar the Funship
    That's gotta suck. Keep in mind in future, if you're ever going to mount a kerb, turn your wheels in to meet it, and take your foot off the brake. It's the least damaging way to hit them :) Granted, at that speed, you're still going to mess with ****.

Hopefully the K-Frame isn't cracked, and you can get everything straightened out under there.

7. Ripcell

Ripcell R8 FTW!!!

Members Ride:
    324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
    shithouse mate, would have been better off hitting him at least you would have a witness then that it wasnt your fault, good luck with the repair did the cops write you up?

8. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    Has he have hit him it probably would've cost more. Driving a non permitted vehicle. Also a cop can make or break a case, i've had one that clearly shows that i was right, i was driving a VR commodore [family sedan] and the other car was a finely tuned sports car, yet the cop saw my p, and blamed me for running a red light. Yet I was hit in the rear side of my car, if i had ran a red light i would've hit his side! It's just best to avoid collisions with other cars, especially on your P's. Not to mention damaging your car! And maybe having to replace it if damage is great enough.

9. Victimiza

Victimiza LG, v8.

Members Ride:
    my sudden reaction was just to brake, if i'd swerved i probably would have hit the guy.

no, i didnt get written up, i had my mate come pull me out with his patrol and got the eff out of there, with no witnesses i felt it was best, somehow i doubt the police would have let me go on my merry way having seen the result.

10. MovieDude

MovieDude New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS (A)
    Sorry to hear your woes. Often in accidents of this kind the car behind is blamed for not slowing down in time. This is ofcourse complete dogs b******s but most insurers will go with this theory for simplicity. It's a shame you don't have a witness and their plate. People like that deserve to drive Reliant Robins/Hyundai Excels for eternity.

11. Steery

Steery AA 554 G

Members Ride:
    94 VR SS M5
    bad luck mate.

so wheres all the tossers on their ****ing high horses in this thread?

12. alien

alien New Member

Members Ride:
    03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
    Steery, i guess either banned, or could see that it was the right thing to do?

I had a ford sedan pull out from a side street [i was doing 60 (the speed limit)] and he was at a stop, he was only about 40 metres in front of me, in the wet too, ****ing prick, i had to change lanes quickly which was almost dangerous, and worst thing is, if i had've hit him it would've been looked on as my fault! That pisses me off!

13. lil_mickey

lil_mickey LOUD AND PROUD

Members Ride:
    VH 253 :-)
    That sucks... hope it all turns out ok for you

14. Steery

Steery AA 554 G

Members Ride:
    94 VR SS M5
    They aren't banned, and unless im quite mistaken, P-platers arent allowed to drive V8's. I couldn't give a ****, he can drive whatever he wants. But i think its amusing that this isn't jumped on, when driving unregistered etc is.

Bad luck to him.