Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Narrowly avoided a crash today....

Victimiza

LG, v8.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II SS 380rwhp, VZ calais
a white falcoon pulled out in front of me, I applied brakes, mounted curb.

as a result of the incident I have no numberplate or eye witnesses, only skid marks, and two buckled rims and shot suspension.

when driving my car it feels almost like square wheels, im thinking maybe steering rack, bushes, struts even, does this sound about right?

just need some opinions on what the problem may be - ive replaced buckled rims and tyres (swapped from my other car), any maybe if anyone was in WA could recommend someone that could offer an inspection/quote would be great.

thanks.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
How fast were you going when you mounted the curb? And what sort of curb? I mounted one at 30-40km/h and my car was fine. Missed the tree on the left and stopped before the house's fence.

People will say you should've hit them, but i say that's bullshit. You are then left without a car because of a collision. And your car is never the same after an accident!

Did the tyres have a bubble bulge in them? Also, if you measure the wheels are they in line? You can use your fingers to get a rough guide!

Victimiza

LG, v8.
Reaction score
Members Ride
i probably hit the curb at the same sort of speed 30-40kmh, this was a __ shaped curb
/
not a little baby one, the sort of curb your rear end hits the floor as you drive off or catches your extractors :bang:

ill have to have a look tomorrow morning, somethings definately not in line, the rear tyre had an implosion sort of bulge and the front tyre had come off of the rim. pretty sure its only the front end thats damaged though.

the last thing i want to do is hit the front end of my car when its had 15-20k spent on it :p

glad to hear im not alone in not wanting to hit him in the ass/side.

Mavr1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed Manual
Thats rotten luck mate......How many of us have swerved to miss someone cutting us off only to do damage to our cars.... The worst part is half teh time they don't even acknowledge that they have done anything wrong or they give YOU the finger :bang:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
That's gotta suck. Keep in mind in future, if you're ever going to mount a kerb, turn your wheels in to meet it, and take your foot off the brake. It's the least damaging way to hit them :) Granted, at that speed, you're still going to mess with ****.

Hopefully the K-Frame isn't cracked, and you can get everything straightened out under there.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
shithouse mate, would have been better off hitting him at least you would have a witness then that it wasnt your fault, good luck with the repair did the cops write you up?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
shithouse mate, would have been better off hitting him at least you would have a witness then that it wasnt your fault, good luck with the repair did the cops write you up?
Has he have hit him it probably would've cost more. Driving a non permitted vehicle. Also a cop can make or break a case, i've had one that clearly shows that i was right, i was driving a VR commodore [family sedan] and the other car was a finely tuned sports car, yet the cop saw my p, and blamed me for running a red light. Yet I was hit in the rear side of my car, if i had ran a red light i would've hit his side! It's just best to avoid collisions with other cars, especially on your P's. Not to mention damaging your car! And maybe having to replace it if damage is great enough.

Victimiza

LG, v8.
Reaction score
Members Ride
my sudden reaction was just to brake, if i'd swerved i probably would have hit the guy.

no, i didnt get written up, i had my mate come pull me out with his patrol and got the eff out of there, with no witnesses i felt it was best, somehow i doubt the police would have let me go on my merry way having seen the result.

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
Sorry to hear your woes. Often in accidents of this kind the car behind is blamed for not slowing down in time. This is ofcourse complete dogs b******s but most insurers will go with this theory for simplicity. It's a shame you don't have a witness and their plate. People like that deserve to drive Reliant Robins/Hyundai Excels for eternity.