Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nasty rattling sound in my VR's V6

-=$natch=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II Equipe smokey 3.8 + clunky Auto
I recently got my old VR back that I sold to a mate about 6 years ago and to say the least it has been very neglected....The fresh paint job I put on it has all faded, the engine runs like poo because it doesn't look like it's had many servicings since he's had it... :(

Anyway, I'm in the process of tidying it up and using it as a daily driver to last me for a few years until i get one of the flash new SS Wagon's!

So I've given it a good service, e.g. plugs, oil, oil/air/fuel filters, leads. I had to throw on a new water pump, idler pulley and belt. Flushed out the cooling system and filled with new coolant. I've had the whole throttle body off and thoroughly cleaned and given a go over with the dremel. Bleed the brakes...etc as it was in desperate need of all this!

I've also had the rocker covers off and cleaned them out as there was huge amounts of gunk in them, including a fair amount of creamy watery oil sludge...I mainly pulled the rocker covers off to check out the rockers and see if it's them causing what I describe as a "nasty metal rattle/tapping" noise. But none of them appeared to loose and the sound seems to be coming from lower down in the engine.

I didn't really noticed the noise straight away as the water pump & idler pulley were ratshit and making plenty of noise, but since fixing them the "engine" noise has really come to my attention. At first i thought it could be related to the lifters/rockers but have pretty much ruled them out, but I may be wrong. It's not noisy injectors like some people have suggested...I'm not that stupid...I don't think! lol

The car had done 330km when i bought it, mostly highway kms and it still went really strong, it has now done about 430km and had a hard life so it wouldn't surprise me if the engine is on it's last legs! To me the noise appears to be coming from deep down, in the engine and the sound reminds of a mates old car that had some bad "piston slap"...so is it likely to be flogged out bores/pistons? Or maybe even big end bearings or cam bearings...??? It's a constant "rattling" that gets a little louder as the revs increase, but doesn't seem to have a massive impact on power or efficiency as it still drives alright and has reasonable power for a car of it's age and kms and doesn't blow smoke (that I've noticed) so maybe that rules out flogged out bores/pistons? I dunno, i used to be a little more mechanically minded and rebuilt a couple of old 202's but haven't had any hands on with newer injected V6's and 8's.

So does anyone have any suggestions? :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could be the balance shaft bearings stuffed. People remove the gearwheel so it just sits there and no rattle though vibrations may increase. May also be a big end but probably not. I'd be running pretty heavy oil in her - maybe 40W70.....that will quiten things down!

-=$natch=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I bought one of those $15 bottles of stuff that claim to "quieten noisy engines, free up lifters...etc". Don't know if they work well, but i'll find out in the morning when I put it in.

Either way, I'm now thinking of looking for a cheap second hand engine and doing a full rebuild as a project and then swap engines over when it's ready.

-=$natch=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, so that bottle of stuff didn't do much, didn't really expect it to anyway.

So I've decided that I'm gonna try and find a cheap replacement engine and completely rebuild it to replace the current one. So first up does anyone have a VP/VR 3.8 that is in reasonable running condition that they wanna get rid of cheap in the Adelaide or surrounding area?

Also, does anyone recommend any particular brand of rebuild kit, and any certain type of piston, gaskets that are better than others? Sprint Auto can get me a full kit for about $850 that includes Pistons, Rings, All Bearings, All Gaskets....think that's it.

I'll be getting the block cleaned up, cylinders bored & honed, heads shaved/decked (is that the right word for it?)...etc Throw on all the other new gear and it should be a decent little rig!