Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

National Petition to change the laws of Window Tinting!

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1 5.0L, VN 'S' Pack project, VY S2 5.7
Hey guys,

Just a quick thread to spread the word on a national petition started by the Window Film Association of Australia and New Zealand that is going around to change the laws on window tinting across Australia.
You may have noticed a lot of new cars now that come standard with Privacy Glass, which usually see's every window on the vehicle (except the 2 front windows, and the front windscreen) have tinted glass. Somewhere around the VLT of 15-20%. Now, technically this is illegal, and should make the NEW CAR unroadworthy. However this is not the case, since the car is manufactured like that.
As a window tinter of 10 years myself, this is frustrating for many reasons. 2 main reasons is because;

A) I cant legally match the front windows to the rest of the car at the customers request

B) Im getting tired of trying to explain why joe blow is allowed to have dark privacy glass, but i cant tint he's mates car that dark because its not legal!

The laws need to be changed. Its should be allowed 35% to the 2 front windows, and darker windows behind the driver.

If you agree, or can even just see the logic behind this, please get on board this petition! And help spread the word!
If you're on Facebook, you can goto Auto film petition | Facebook
Or you can visit the WFAANZ website directly, their petition page is HERE

Thanks heaps guys, hope we can get a lot on board for this!

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
new cars now that come standard with Privacy Glass, which usually see's every window on the vehicle (except the 2 front windows, and the front windscreen) have tinted glass. Somewhere around the VLT of 15-20%. Now, technically this is illegal, and should make the NEW CAR unroadworthy. However this is not the case, since the car is manufactured like that.

when i got my roady done for defect i needed to peel the tint
but only on the front 2 windows cos they were the only ones that needed to be above the legal limit even tho my back windows were tested and read something like 15% the roadworthy inspector said only the fronts need to be at the legal percentage
and thats what vic roads said too when i took it in..?

so.. i don't understand what this is about, in ur OP it said that the back windows were illegally too dark?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
but only on the front 2 windows cos they were the only ones that needed to be above the legal limit even tho my back windows were tested and read something like 15% the roadworthy inspector said only the fronts need to be at the legal percentage

I've had 35% on the fronts and 5% (I think) around the sides and rear of my VR wagon for over 6 years, and I've only been pulled over once because he couldn't see my P plate, no defect. Plus, it passed a roadworthy only last year.

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride

so.. i don't understand what this is about, in ur OP it said that the back windows were illegally too dark?
Vic roads is clearly contradicting themselves then, and you were lucky to only have taken the 2 front off. In the Victorian road laws, VicRoads clearly states that any car MUST be 35% VLT on EVERY window (excluding the front windscreen), or less. VicRoads are clearly confused by the laws themselves lol

xCalliba

EPICVN
Reaction score
Members Ride
for those who need proof, http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/A4CCADAA-27D3-4EB6-8AE2-17F69F9DAE78/0/VSI2web.pdf

The section you need to read, states:
"All windows of a motor vehicle, other than windscreens,
available to the driver to obtain a view of the road or other
road users must have a light transmittance of at least 35%.
However it is desirable that the light transmittance of
windows to the side and ahead of the driver is not reduced
below 70%"

It goes on to state bus's are exempt from this rule... but they are yet to make a commodore bus :p

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
What's the difference between tinting the rear and side windows and having the window shades? Or what about when your going on holiday in a wagon and you have stuff in the back covering the rear window?

I agree the law is stupid.