Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Naviplus apple + android carplay v's Naiviplus maps v's Alpine apple + android .Pros & Cons

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Ok the Mylink system is the last ( hopefully ) mod I have to tackle .

After being frustrated with the goddam mong..... I mean red light camera alerts and mylink maps , I think I'm going to have to take one of these options or another if available .

I realise just using my phone is the cheapest and quite functional option and also some of the GPS options , I would still prefer a built in , functional head unit , that I can freely update maps ( that just in itself is a big saving compared to Mylink map updates ) .

So if anyone has any experience , opinions and knowledge of any of these options would be greatly appreciated .
http://www.naviplus.com.au/online-store/Holden-VF-Series-II-Commodore-Chevrolet-SS-MyLink-Integrated-Android-Auto-&-Apple-CarPlay-Package-Kit-p99585170

http://www.naviplus.com.au/holden-mylink-gps-navigation-upgrade

The cheapest option http://www.naviplus.com.au/vf-cruze-mylink-mirrorlink-airplay

https://www.alpine.com.au/vf/

Last edited:

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
I looked at the Alpine but it was just as laggy as the MyLink.

I think I might go the NaviPlus route too, but I stream my music and commands from phone via my Helix DSP, no visuals.

burraga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V Sportwagon
Ok, so here’s my experience.

The kit and installation:

When I received the kit i read the instructions but I was unsure of some of the extra parts. I emailed and called Naviplus and they told me that the Compact Wireless Mini USB Dongle, IR remote and SD card slot are not needed. Also the AUX seemed to be missing a cable but Naviplus said it was not needed.

The instructions were also lacking details of where to mount the modules (2 off) and the mini speaker. The cables were also very long and the instructions were not clear on where to run them or where to hide them behind the trim panels. The instructions were perfect in detailing which wire(s) to cut or splice into and which plugs to use. They were not clear on where to get power and earth so I ended up using the DOC connector behind the glove box.

I ended up double sided taping the 2 modules back to back and wrapping with bubble wrap. This allowed them to fit snuggly in behind the RHS lower trim panel on the passenger side. I’ll upload some photos. I mounted the mini speaker with double sided tape it on an aluminium bracket that was above the MyLink head unit. The microphone was mounted above the rear view mirror and the cable run around the edge of the windscreen and down the passenger side A pillar.

Once all the components were in position, I covered all the cables with convoluted tubing and tucked them in around the passenger side trim panels and glove box. It was a challenge to tuck the long cables away neatly.

Using CarPlay:

I travel a lot for work so I have experienced CarPlay in lots of different Makes and Models of hire cars. This is why I wanted to install it into my VF Calais V SportWagon.

When you start the car there is a 5-10 second delay before the kit turns on and CarPlay turns on. You know when its loaded when you see CarPlay appear on the iPhone screen. To activate CarPlay, you double press the mute button on the RHS of the steering. The normal MyLink display then switches to the CarPlay display.

Once everything is running, CarPlay works well. You get Apple Maps and Google Maps with live traffic updates. Apple Music, Tidal and Spotify all work seamlessly. Podcasts, Messages and of course phone calls.

One interesting point is that sound only comes through the MyLink Bluetooth source. You can’t listen to the music on your iPhone via the MyLink iPod source (the way i used too). You can use the normal volume buttons (steering wheel and head unit), as well as the previous and next button to change songs. The mute button still works as normal but if you accidentally press it twice then you switch back to the MyLink screen.

None of the other MyLink sources are integrated with CarPlay i.e. there is no icon for the radio/CD player/iPod/Stitcher/Pandora/MyLink tone and configuration settings. You have to switch off CarPlay and go back to MyLink to access these icons.

I still listen to CD’s and the radio in the background whilst CarPlay is switched on but i can’t control them i.e. change to the next track or change radio stations.

When using CarPlay:- the head unit screen still dims when the headlights come on in a tunnel or at night. The AC fan speed still drops when you receive a phone call. The rear camera still displays when reversing.

Unlike the YouTube video, the CarPlay home button and icons are on the RHS of the screen.

Faults/bugs:

The mini speaker occasionally pops when it changes to CarPlay.

When you start playing music for the first time via Apple Music, more often than not the music starts to play on the mini speaker. You have to press the icon at the bottom of the iPhone screen to switch the music over to MyLink.

I use my car everyday and approximately once a week i have to delete my phone from MyLink and re-pair. I not sure if this is a MyLink issue or a CarPlay issue. I know it needs to be done when I receive a phone call and when it ends the music does not resume as normal.

Occasionally when listening to Apple Music the screen changes and i have to manually change it back to Now Playing.

I think that is everything i’ve noticed in the last few months. I’ll upload a few photos now.

Cheers, Scott

burraga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V Sportwagon
Photos

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_2051.jpg
    IMG_2051.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2065.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 608

burraga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V Sportwagon
Also, I forgot to mention that Siri's voice comes out of the mini speaker. You can control the volume in the Naviplus settings (accessible via a icon with a car on it on the CarPlay home screen).

Speaking of settings, there are quite a few settings that can be accessed but I have't changed any or had a good look at what they all are.

burraga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V Sportwagon
Lastly, here is the Naviplus Youtube video

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Hi burraga , I saw your report but didn't want to comment just yet as I'm still in the process of getting mine to work correctly, but I will .
The first week or so was trying to get it to work , that involve a firmware update then reinstall of original firmware and a lot of checking an rechecking the din switches to finally come to the conclusion my phone wasn't compatible with their system . They offered me a partial refund so that I could buy a new phone . Once I received my new phone it seemed to work but it was a week or so before I tried to play music via Android Auto which didn't work . After some checking and rechecking again they decided to update firmware on the Aux/USB box which had to be plugged into my pc and updated that way which they did via Teamviewer , that failed to work also , so they sent me another Aux/USB box that they updated at there workshop , that didn't work also . They are now trying to update another Aux/USB that they are going to test on a VF S2 before sending it to me , that's where I'm at right now .
I set mine up similar to you , I wrote an install guide here .https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...lecar-play-android-auto-install-guide.273359/

Last edited: