Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NBN Scam

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Well here we go again with the new NBN scam.
Just received a call from a low life saying he was from the NBN and he is upgrading the optical fibre in 3193, [Postcode of my Area]
And promised to upgrade my speed to 100mbs, well it sounded a bit strange to me, because I had a lengthy conversation with Telstra a few hours prior about poor quality NBN service, and they [Telstra] said they will fix the problem and I would not need to do anything.

Well this lowlife asked me to download a program called "Anydesk", which is a remote access program, as he said he needs to access my NBN modem via my computer, this is where I smelt a RAT.
So I started asking a few more question and they had an answer for everyone of them, but not the answers I was expecting, so I figured it was just another lowlife scammer like the old Microsoft Technical Support that was circulating years ago.

They ask how many lights are on your modem, and what color are they, and is any flashing, they then know you are on NBN,
I gathered the question about flashing lights on the modem is a diversion, because if your connected to the NBN, they wouldnt be flashing.

So keep your wits about you.
NBN has NO reason to call you.
As they are just a service provider to the Telcos.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have both an Aries box and modem with my NBN.....My modem has some lights flashing, and some fixed on....IMA they are the same colour, but still flashing all the same...The aries box the lights are fixed on.

That being said, good to get a headsup about a scam going around

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the amount of calls we get at work for NBN, solar, led lights, phone contracts, list goes on, seems funny that when India was shut down for covid the calls stopped and when they opened up again it all started again usually between 3-5 in the arvo

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I have had a few call too. One was to tell me that they have been monitoring my NBN speed and they noticed it was slower than it should be. They wanted to know what my download speed was . When i said that if you are monitoring it you should know what it is they hung up. About an hour later telstra rang up and told me again that my nbn was slow . Hung up on them . After the third time told them to fuk off. The next day i recieved an e-mail from telstra that my nbn was slow and would receive a $20 dollar discount on my next bill. Whoops.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have the perfect response to those people, it's called a referees whistle. Our call scams have just about gone. We were getting about two to three a day.

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais, VS Berlina & LX Torana
I like the whistle idea - we need more of that.

Regarding the nbn scam phone calls - due to the size and coverage of the network now, unfortunately they are very common (shotgun approach - for every 100 they call, they probably get 1 or 2 sucked in). As mentioned above, nbn will never call an end user directly, they are merely a wholesaler who sell to RSP’s (Retail Service Providers). So you could get a call from a Telstra, Optus etc - but even then be very very careful.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Daytime phone calls to the land line go straight to the answering machine.
I get lots of calls, but never any messages...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
another one is when i get scam emails wanting to sign in to fix address or personal details if i get too many of those i just unblock my security and go into the link and then where it asks to sign into your account/password just type what ever u want to say to the scammers as what ever u type is recorded for them to use later... :rolleyes:;) they usually get the idea after that and dont bug u anymore

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
the amount of calls we get at work for NBN, solar, led lights, phone contracts, list goes on, seems funny that when India was shut down for covid the calls stopped and when they opened up again it all started again usually between 3-5 in the arvo

I noticed that also,
no calls at all, now they are staring to give me the s___.

Last edited: