Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need a new shed

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you can afford it it will be better to replace the whole unit. These old heat pumps/AC units draw a lot more power than modern ones.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I'm not sure. Coldest I have seen it outside in winter is around 3-4 deg, lately it has been around 8 deg in the morning. Can't remember what goes on inside the aircon, its been over 20 years since I studied thermodynamics at uni!

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
If you can afford it it will be better to replace the whole unit. These old heat pumps/AC units draw a lot more power than modern ones.

Yeah that's true. We really notice the power bill difference when we crank this older one!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah that's true. We really notice the power bill difference when we crank this older one!
Open the access panel and look.
Circuit board = something modern-ish
Big capacitors (like 300ml cream bottle) etc - then old skool and potentially a cheap fix, maybe. But is going to chew power like a 60's caddy drinks petrol.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some progress - slab prep and pour happening on Wed/Thur.

After that its time to line up the electrician to get the trench and cable run done, as the area between the meter and the shed will be concreted after the shed is complete.

Haven't gotten word yet when the shed kit arrives, but it gives me time to sort out other stuff.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Some progress here too. Retaining wall is up, not yet fully backfilled, and only took me six months.

before.jpg

after.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@UTE042_NZ that looks expensive, especially so if you had to pay someone to do it all .
What, if anything did you use to protect the earth facing side of the retaining wall from moisture?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
@UTE042_NZ that looks expensive, especially so if you had to pay someone to do it all .
What, if anything did you use to protect the earth facing side of the retaining wall from moisture?
Short story long: About $4,300 (NZ). Including the digger work and his drilling the 16 x 1.6M deep holes (twice, after half of them collapsed during a huge storm late in February and I had to cancel the ordered concrete, pull the six posts I had in position, redrill and start again).

I did everything else myself. Mixed the concrete for the posts in a rented mixer over two days late May with a neighbour trying to help me lose shovel counts - the cement bags are under the tarp in the before picture, between the 1.75M of builder's mix and the 6M of drainage metal. You can just see the stacked posts behind those. Ended up having to buy an extra ten bags of rapid set post mix to top some off.

All the timber is treated: H5 posts; H4 boards. All cut ends treated with Metalex preservative. Soil will only be touching the top two boards as there is 6 metres of 65mm drainage metal (90% of it surrounded by non woven geotextile fabric) over 110mm punched socked novacoil drainage pipe. There's a 50mm - 75mm bed of metal rammed beneath the drainage pipe which gives a sloping bed below the level of the bottom board. The wall should not remain wet for any length of time.
bed.jpg

Once it is all backfilled I have to build a balustrade, to stop drunks and babies from falling over the edge. Already have the timber (another $750 worth) but will have to fork out around $250 for galv. bolts nuts and washers. I suspect I might have that done before the shed guys will brave attempting to get a pump and concrete truck down the damp slope beside my house.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Some progress - slab prep and pour happening on Wed/Thur.

After that its time to line up the electrician to get the trench and cable run done, as the area between the meter and the shed will be concreted after the shed is complete.

Haven't gotten word yet when the shed kit arrives, but it gives me time to sort out other stuff.
I'll have to snap a picture of my brothers new shed which also is getting concrete poured later this week.