Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need a new shed

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This site needs a shed pic thread.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I'll have to snap a picture of my brothers new shed which also is getting concrete poured later this week.

Haha I was just over at my mates watching his slab being poured.

Got an email this morning saying my shed kit is being delivered on the 10th August.

Getting on to the sparky now to get my electrical run.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Short story long: About $4,300 (NZ). Including the digger work and his drilling the 16 x 1.6M deep holes (twice, after half of them collapsed during a huge storm late in February and I had to cancel the ordered concrete, pull the six posts I had in position, redrill and start again).

I did everything else myself. Mixed the concrete for the posts in a rented mixer over two days late May with a neighbour trying to help me lose shovel counts - the cement bags are under the tarp in the before picture, between the 1.75M of builder's mix and the 6M of drainage metal. You can just see the stacked posts behind those. Ended up having to buy an extra ten bags of rapid set post mix to top some off.

All the timber is treated: H5 posts; H4 boards. All cut ends treated with Metalex preservative. Soil will only be touching the top two boards as there is 6 metres of 65mm drainage metal (90% of it surrounded by non woven geotextile fabric) over 110mm punched socked novacoil drainage pipe. There's a 50mm - 75mm bed of metal rammed beneath the drainage pipe which gives a sloping bed below the level of the bottom board. The wall should not remain wet for any length of time.
View attachment 224616

Once it is all backfilled I have to build a balustrade, to stop drunks and babies from falling over the edge. Already have the timber (another $750 worth) but will have to fork out around $250 for galv. bolts nuts and washers. I suspect I might have that done before the shed guys will brave attempting to get a pump and concrete truck down the damp slope beside my house.
Cool… that’s cheap and no doubt would cost much more if you paid someone else to do it (and likely you’d get an inferior job) :p

Ideally one should use H5 class treated wood for all parts of their retaining walls and one should still provide a waterproof plastic barrier gainst the wood itself. Then you’d still do the normal routine with geotechnical fabric, punched drainage pipe and crushed rock as backfill to handle the hydrostatic pressure water will cause.

The plastic barrier is even more important if one skims costs by using H4 (which isn’t ideal for retaining walls)… see treatment classes here. And if the wood is ACQ treated, it will cause bolts to rust so you must use hot dipped galvanised or ideally stainless steel fittings… I prefer stainless but the price is painful…

Like anything, best to do it right and do it once and never have to work on it again :cool:

Reactions: Lex

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
There's not a single bolt in the wall, about 300 galvanised bugle head batten screws 'though. I wouldn't seal it with plastic. If ever there was too much for the drain I would want it to leak through the wall, but as it is currently it handles all the flow from the flat as well as from above during very heavy rainfall. There will be less once the shed is in as the roof flow will pipe to stormwater. Building it in winter has actually been a bonus. I only labour on dry days so I got to see how it worked in stages as I went (between each of the "once-in-x-many-years" weather events). Throughout June, after the redrilling and waiting for the posts' concrete to harden while I was digging out the drain bed, it was like I had a little model of a portion of the upper Somme circa 1916 going on in the corner. If it lasts 25 years I won't be around to hear any complaints

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will find h4 is fairly ok with dirt. In my experience it's when you use them in gardens it becomes a problem, as it's organic matter organisms that eats away at the timber not really plain old dirt.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it lasts 25 years I won't be around to hear any complaints
And if it only lasts 15 years you may not hear the complaints anyway :p
What, what did you say... speak up.. need new batteries :p

It looks like a nice retaining wall in any case and probably better than what you would have got if you paid 3x your current cost for a "professional"
to do it :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
fairly ok
Hahaha, that's a phrase i hear from trades people who think AU/NZ standards are something to aspire to rather than the minimum :p:p:p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've used them for customers in the past and the only time I have had issues is when mulch or similar has been used. Bang mulch against them and they will be rotted out in under two years.

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
timber posts in concrete, concrete dries out, wood shrinks, water soaks in concrete, wood swells and stays wet underground and rots out at ground level and splits further up in 20 years.