Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need a new shed

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Achoo the mulch I used was tip mulch heated treated in large piles. I have used wooden sleepers in clay for years and they didn't rot like the ones with mulch against them. Not same timber but I've seen hardwood fence posts last for 50 years before rotting off in water soaked clay holes. I know because I pulled down a fence this year and replaced it. So I have to disagree as I'm going by experience not hear say.
Tip mulch is just cheap $hit recycled rubbish heated out in the open full of bacteria especially in winter, no wonder. You added further about hardwood which has no comparison with treated softwood sleepers or posts or mulch without any actual reasons or science.
I wouldn’t say 20 years experience working in the Horticulture/Landscape industry and six long years study is hear say, you might, so I agree to disagree.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
slab looks nice and clean, job well done
did you have to add extra depth in concrete for car hoist posts/pads ??

Yes, I got the back corner (3.5 m x 5.5 m) done at 150 mm. I did this because I haven't purchased a 4 post hoist yet and would like a bit of flexibility for positioning. Otherwise if I already knew exactly where it was going to go, I would have just had piers dug for the posts.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Need to call a services locator as I'll be digging the electrical trench. Only needs to be 300 mm deep if under slab, which it will be.

Running 3 phase 40 amp circuit. Will be installing a couple of 3 phase outlets, double power points in each bay (both sides) and lighting.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some hoists are 3 phase. The 3 phase outlets won't probably be for me, but later on when it comes time to sell.

Plenty of big sheds around here with lathes and other stuff, but it's almost a case of we have 3 phase anyway, why not.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good thing about 3 phase is you can run a decent compressor. Even the largest 15a ones don't push enough air to run certain equipment. I probably should have run a 3 phase line myself as I'd say our massive ducted heat pump would be on 3 phase. But just another $1000 though, to run a single outlet in the shed, which I don't really have to spare right now.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Good thing about 3 phase is you can run a decent compressor. Even the largest 15a ones don't push enough air to run certain equipment. I probably should have run a 3 phase line myself as I'd say our massive ducted heat pump would be on 3 phase. But just another $1000 though, to run a single outlet in the shed, which I don't really have to spare right now.
Just run a 3 phase generator when you have run the big power stuff. Its not like your running it all day every day of the week.
Maybe a couple of hours once or twice a year?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just run a 3 phase generator when you have run the big power stuff. Its not like your running it all day every day of the week.
Maybe a couple of hours once or twice a year?
Yeah could, I don't have a 3 phase comp anyway. Bought a big 3 piston single phase and not enough air to run my sandblaster. Screw comp would be nice but they also have a hefty price tag. On the three times a year I blast I am going to try linking two comps to see if I can keep the tank at 90psi with the nozzle open. If not it should charge up a bit quicker with two going anyway.

Reactions: Lex

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think I have made an error of judgement.

I hadn't decided where exactly I wanted my electrical run to (I wanted it at the back so all the boards and stuff was out of the way and not visible), so couldn't decide whether to run it through the slab or after the shed is built (reason for this was so i could decide exactly where I wanted it to go after eyeballing inside the shed). Work got in the way, and then I got a few days notice from the concreters, so that stuffed that up.

Talking to my electrician briefly months ago, he said no worries we can just run the conduit up next to the slab and poke it in between the shed and slab. Problem is, the walls will be horizontal coro, not vertical, so I think that means and conduit will sit proud of the wall. Even worse if a junction box goes on the exterior.

There is approximately 1.1 m from the front corner of the slab to where the sliding door will be, and the cable will go in somewhere there (in the yellow shaded area). That grassy area between the slab and the house (so everything in the foreground) will be concreted as well. I don't know the elevation of the concrete or how far it will come up the slab.

My main concern now is having an electrical install that is going to look untidy with a conduit that runs a fair distance up the wall, sitting proud of the horizontal coro, plus having everything concreted. I haven't spoken to my electrician yet to deal with specifics other than the trench, but
- are there ways to make this discrete? Junction box on inside, entry point as low down and close to slab as possible?
- is it possible to drill a hole in the slab, trench underneath, feed conduit in and then backfill, or has that horse bolted and its just wishful thinking?

Or am I over thinking this and the whole thing can be hidden with a strategically placed pot plant?

Capture.JPG

InkedIMG_3779_3.jpg