Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need a new shed

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Professional shed builders, like your reference above, or Shed Boss, should be able to do all council requirements, approvals, erections etc.
Sure you will pay for the convenience, but from my view, that would be preferable to a DIY administrative head bang, and a pile of metal dumped on your front yard.
Also be aware that the shed you build will always be too small. I have a 4 car garage 6.5m x 12m, way big enough on paper, not big enough in reality.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah need to speak to a builder like 5.0 suggests. Council process can be a PITA depending on the council region. You need to find out set backs from boundaries and proximity to the existing dwellings. Some councils have minimum distance from a dwelling. Different rules everywhere but it also comes down to bushfire risk of having shed to close to the house, also shading neighbours and your own house, although the latter may not be applicable in Qld. Then there is the minimum percentage of vacant metreage on the allotment. Generally but not always larger allotments need to have a greater percentage of open space.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Professional shed builders, like your reference above, or Shed Boss, should be able to do all council requirements, approvals, erections etc.
Sure you will pay for the convenience, but from my view, that would be preferable to a DIY administrative head bang, and a pile of metal dumped on your front yard.

Tassie is the worst for rules and regs. There is something like a 10 page doc that needs paragraphs written addressing all of the requirements a building must comply with. It really is an administrative nightmare. Over here you either pay a building Co to sort it out or you pay the draftsman to lodge the application and then nominate a builder. Last time I used Ranbuild and my most recent shed supplier they don't get involved with council they will supply the engineering docs and then you have them drawn up by a draftsman and submitted along with the building application.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Thanks guys.

Yeah I suspect there are a few weird rules going on. I found some of the original sales brochures from this estate and it mentions each house being oriented in a such a way to minimise sight lines to neighbours, and maximising distances between houses.

My house is almost in the middle of the block, both my neighbours have built up to their boundaries, which supports this. Also there are some massive sheds around, but they aren't close to the boundaries.........

I can potentially build it on the other side as I have slightly more width, but that's where my septic trenches are so that may be a pita with Brisbane City Council. The original owner tried to put a tennis court on that side and got knocked back because council insisted on the septic going there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can potentially build it on the other side as I have slightly more width, but that's where my septic trenches are.
Yeah you will have minimum distances from the septic trenches, so that side may not be an option. If the shed is non compliant you might need to get permission from the adjoining neighbours.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Consider yourself lucky to not live in Tas. Over here anything bigger than a 6 x 6 needs advertising, twice in the community notices in the local paper, and you have to wait for any objections submitted to the council. All up advertising can take up to three weeks. Plus you have to pay for the advertising around $300 x2.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I found some of the original sales brochures from this estate and it mentions each house being oriented in a such a way to minimise sight lines to neighbours, and maximising distances between houses.

Some of those covenants from original sales get lost over time.
When we bought our block, garages had to be built from the same bricks, and have a similar appearance to the house .......... no tin sheds ........... so my garage is attached to the house.
After 14 years, we are now probably the only originals left in the street, and second / third owners have all put up huge tin sheds.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Some of those covenants from original sales get lost over time.
When we bought our block, garages had to be built from the same bricks, and have a similar appearance to the house .......... no tin sheds ........... so my garage is attached to the house.
After 14 years, we are now probably the only originals left in the street, and second / third owners have all put up huge tin sheds.

Sounds encouraging haha. This estate is a bit older than that, and our house was built in 2006.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's mental!
It's an absolute nightmare, and that's me saying it politely..... They bend you over here in Tas, building fees alone are setting me back around $6k on a house and shed, add another $10k + for the draftsman including all the certifications the council requests when assessing the application. You're in for around $16k before you get to even scratch the dirt.... I might add we have a pretty good council, Launceston City and some Hobart councils are way worse than West Tamar Council.