Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

need advice on this situation please

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
Mate i hope he puts it back in correctly. Mate i wish you the best of luck with this keep us posted

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
In my experience, main journals wear the least. (provided they are adequately lubricated) So if they are not noticably damaged, a fresh set of shells should be enough to get the engine back in service. I personaly would be replacing the big end shells as well.
On the down side, there may be an under lying problem to cause this shell failure!

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
wow I have to get my inlet manifold gasket done on my vn ... im scared now lol

as people already said it sounds like he was not careful removing all of the old gasket and its gone in the engine ..

If your car did not have this problem before hand and then 1.5km of driving from mechanics proves he is at fault ..

tell him how about I take car elsewhere and get them to drop the sump to see if theres alot of old gasket in there ...I bet he shits himself ....

if he repairs bearings ... tell him he had better make sure he clears out all the old gasket from sump and pick up.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
tell him how about I take car elsewhere and get them to drop the sump to see if theres alot of old gasket in there ...I bet he shits himself ....

If you end up saying that to him he will more then likley say go for it. They problem will be out of his hands.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Thats absurd!! it's already been stated that the oil pressure is/was low! Low oil pressure is not going to cause bearing failure in 1.2K's. If the pump pick up in the sump was completely blocked, there would be no pressure, and there would be warnings coming up on the dash. And the sump is already off, with the mains caps removed!

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
i did see 2 halves of bearing shells tonight dont know where they were taken from didnt bring them home with me they were both shiny and silver

i will be going back there in the morning telling him i want to inspect the crank if theres no marks or scratchs will tell him to throw in a set of bearings

basically im in a hardspot as we need the car he has had it for almost 2 weeks and its a joke im still stumped as to why he removed the engine and box out of the car to take the farking sump off jesus

anyways i am contacting consumer affairs tomorow along with mta as well i wil try and get the bearings off him tomoz if i can i will post up pic of them thanks for the advice people

btw i rang and spoke to this bloke (mechanic) tonight he said he will supply and fit new bearings for $100.00

Whatever u do,do it after u get ur car out of the w/shop.Otherway it'll draaaag on.No bull.

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
ok guys i finaly managed to get my bearings from them wasnt easy i will upload pics shortly just need to download a raw codec and resize for net purposes

i did give consumer affairs a ring just to see where i stood and would just like to know who do they actually protect because it isnt the consumer thats for sure according to the representitive i spoke to my only option right now is to have my car taken to another mechanic have them strip down the motor do a full report on it then forward it to consumer affairs who will then investigate it on my behalf all i can say is this is a farking joke

but anyways give me few mins and ill get some pics up

cheers and thanks again guys for the advice

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
i did give consumer affairs a ring just to see where i stood and would just like to know who do they actually protect because it isnt the consumer thats for sure according to the representitive i spoke to my only option right now is to have my car taken to another mechanic have them strip down the motor do a full report on it then forward it to consumer affairs who will then investigate it on my behalf all i can say is this is a farking joke

That's pretty much it, and unless you're up for serious money you may just want to cop it on the chin.

It's often not worth your sanity chasing these things through the hoops you need to to get a result, even then you can never be sure if you'll get the result you're after, and if you don't you'll be far more out of pocket than you would have if you'd just paid the $100 for new bearings.

To be fair on consumer affairs, there isn't much else they could do. If they just took every complaint at face value, there would be huge potential for abuse.

Moral of the story is, if things get broke, don't let the same person fix it :p

minitsbay

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
moral of my story in future will be "wait till im well and do it myself"

pics below

Attachments

• vt bearing 1.jpg
    vt bearing 1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 122
  • vt bearing 2.jpg