Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice on V6 computers!

bloggsly

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais supercharged
i have a 2001 calais and since i had it, it seems the gearing on the trans seems to change too late! ive had box serviced and no problems were found! so anyway its a supercharged L67 with the sports suspension! not sure if any of this info is relevant but anyway! i was looking for a rattle in my passenger kick panel and noticed it has a secondhand computer from a grange of around the same era ide imagine! so my querie is wheather there is any difference between the 2 as the grange as a bigger car may have a different diff ratio therebye changing my gear change?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 Commodore Calais V8
i have a 2001 calais and since i had it, it seems the gearing on the trans seems to change too late! ive had box serviced and no problems were found! so anyway its a supercharged L67 with the sports suspension! not sure if any of this info is relevant but anyway! i was looking for a rattle in my passenger kick panel and noticed it has a secondhand computer from a grange of around the same era ide imagine! so my querie is wheather there is any difference between the 2 as the grange as a bigger car may have a different diff ratio therebye changing my gear change?
Interesting theory!! Id love to see what others think

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Is the L67 the original motor ?
As the Calais Varient did come in 3 different options
L36
L67
V8
What does the complaint plate say on the radiator support panel ?
and does the VIN in the bottom of the screen match the plate ?
Also is the Engine number on the Registration match, or Roadworthy Certificate ?
There is a few different senarios for this situation.
In saying that, maybe the previous owner either killed the original motor, or it created a fault, and wasnt cost efficiate to repair it.
So they either got a Replacement Motor from the Grange, [from a Wrecker]
Or
a Reconditioned Motor and ECU from a Grange
or
ECU died, might very well be the original motor, but a repalcement ECU from a Grange, as that was the only one available for the higher varient.

You would say who ever did replace it, knew what they were doing.
As for the Diff Ratio, that is goverened by the setting know as PPK, [Pulses Per Kilometre] and is adjustable by what Ratio the Diff is, and what wheels and tyres are fitted, that setting is in the Instrument Cluster for a VY, might also be the same for a VT-VX.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

As for the Rattle,
I have a vibration in the dash on the passengers side of my VY 2002 Calais L67, [190,200 k/m]
But only when it was idling down,
I did notice the actial Air Conditioning Compressor vibrate when idling down, after just giving it a rev on the throttle arm onthe Throttle Body.
So I repalced the Air Conditioning Compressor thinking its on it way out, as it was the original unit,
and the vibration is still there [not as bad], but the Compressor is not rattling now.
I then purchased a set of Engine Mounts, and replaced them,
[which is a bastard of job, had to modify a couple of snanners for the 15mm Nuts]
However I still have a little bit of the vibration.

This might be a off target here,
but could it be in your Glovebox, Loom rattling, Something in the fan housing [leaf], Radio Antenna lose in the guard ?

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
This might be a stupid question but is the power button activated? That would cause later gear changes.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
so my querie is wheather there is any difference between the 2 as the grange as a bigger car may have a different diff ratio therebye changing my gear change?

They would have been exactly the same in terms of tune and drivetrain (diff gears and gearbox etc...), Holden never changed anything unless it was something special (which pretty much means nothing for the V6), and if HSV did they would have made a point about doing it (like they did for the 185i tune in the VR/VS for example).

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The ECU isn't as relevant as the memcal in it that has all the actual calibration information on it. Post the code on the memcal.

bloggsly

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey thanks guys ! there are good things to get me thinkin in there! as for power switch it doesnt matter either way 3rd doesnt kick in till after 60 ks and as for memacs or whatever, ill need to do some research!also as far as i know before me was 2 owners ,last being a young fella that put extractors and dopey broky system on it since then ive tuned down to half sports half stock! once again not sure if relevant! also the car was a last off line reject that wasnt sold till feb 2003! the reason it was rejected was paintwork so they whacked on as many options as they could to get rid of it! having said that its obvious a lot has changed since then! so ill do some research and get back to ya!

bloggsly

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh btw the rattle that sent me looking turned out to be bonnet lmao!