Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need advice on walbro replacement for vy sv8 one tonner and ss crewman

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Hi guys. Has anyone on here removed and replaced the stock pump in either a v8 one tonner or crewman with a walbro or bosch aftermarket intank pump? The sender units are different than the sedans and utes and nothing is coming up in searches.

To be clear, I only want to replace the pump in the sender unit. Not the whole assembly because I've already forked out a bucket load for the internal filter not long ago.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
No. Sorry should have said that the utes and sedans have different type. The tonner and crewman have an in tank 200000km long life filter attached to the unit but im not sure if the pump its self is the same.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
No. Sorry should have said that the utes and sedans have different type. The tonner and crewman have an in tank 200000km long life filter attached to the unit but im not sure if the pump its self is the same.

Ahhh yeah. Now i remember. Easiest way to check would be to make a call to Holden on monday and get them to check the part number of the fuel filter in the Crewman and see if it matches the ute/sedan. Even Repco might be able to help with atleast a part number you can cross reference.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Your not getting where I'm coming from. I know the differences as I've already replaced the filter. I want to remove the actual pump from the sender unit and replace it with a walbro or bosch aftermarket intank pump. What I'm wanting to know from someone who's been there before is what walbro pump will fit.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, but if you get the part number of the pump that is in there, you could then cross reference that with walbro/bosch to find out which pump it is yourself to save waiting for somebody on here as im not sure how many people with Tonners there are that frequent the forum have done what you're after..

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
What's done to the car mod wise to justify using one?

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
What's done to the car mod wise to justify using one?
The old pump has packed it in and $200 sounds sweeter than $700 for a replacement unit. The filter was just under $200 alone. Current it just has exhaust but I've decided to keep it so I'll throw a replacement low km engine in it soon and do the cam and heads at the same time.

Last edited:

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Yeah, but if you get the part number of the pump that is in there, you could then cross reference that with walbro/bosch to find out which pump it is yourself to save waiting for somebody on here as im not sure how many people with Tonners there are that frequent the forum have done what you're after..

Trust me when I say I've been there done that. The v6 for some reason has a replacement pump but the v8 doesn't and holden can only give me a part number for the whole unit. Also I don't want to go pulling mine apart for now. I know guys have done it. There was a guy in Newcastle that was going to sell me one he had installed a walbro pump into but that was a few years ago and the pm is gone so I have no way of remembering who it was other than that he had a red one tonner. At the time, I only needed a filter but it proves that it can and has been done.