Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Need Advice on what Mods to go with Ecotec V6

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Depends on what you like but if it's a VY then I would go a higher model to start with.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Limited budget, I'd say retune and shorter diff. to start.

If you're living like the photo out in the country with lots of highway don't go too short.
I was in the country with a wagon so I left the diff and did the inlet side spacers like you listed. (& a tune).

Building a whole different engine, installing and making it work is not an easy way to start learning mods.

SlowwVy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vy Spac V6 3.8L
Depends on what you like but if it's a VY then I would go a higher model to start with.

I dont really fancy a calais but i have considered just selling it and getting a super 6 I dont really know what other cars can offer the same looks and comfort with amenities in the 5-6k range that wont **** itself and cost big $$ as well as being p plate legal

Last edited:

SlowwVy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vy Spac V6 3.8L
Limited budget, I'd say retune and shorter diff. to start.

If you're living like the photo out in the country with lots of highway don't go too short.
I was in the country with a wagon so I left the diff and did the inlet side spacers like you listed. (& a tune).

Building a whole different engine, installing and making it work is not an easy way to start learning mods.

Yeah Im having a hard time finding a Dif around me is all I have ordered a 69mm throttle body and plenum spacers for now but most definitely will invest in a Dif with higher ratio as I do live out in the country.

As for building an engine I have lots of friends & family who own mechanic shops around me so I barely fork out for labour since i mostly try to help and learn as much as i can soak up.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Yeah Im having a hard time finding a Dif around me is all I have ordered a 69mm throttle body and plenum spacers for now but most definitely will invest in a Dif with higher ratio as I do live out in the country.

As for building an engine I have lots of friends & family who own mechanic shops around me so I barely fork out for labour since i mostly try to help and learn as much as i can soak up.
You’ll need a tune to suit the throttle body , as the shift points play up if not , it’s a good starting point though

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
As above you’ll need a tuned memcal chip for that 69mm throttle body I did the same with my old auto Ecotec and it made the transmission play up without the tuned chip

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.

I got a retuned 'brainbox' (Not 'chip' on vx) and spacers from Mace all at the same time and told them what other mods so they knew what to tune for.
Plug and play all fine.
Minor tweak to give a little more pickup. Won't get any powerhouse so simply.